Utah Reefs Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Maroon vs Duncan

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
tink View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tink Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Maroon vs Duncan
    Posted: November 08 2013 at 3:48pm
I need some advice about my female gold bar Maroon. She host with everything but unfortunately not everything appreciates her love. I've tried anemones and I can't keep them alive in my little tank for stone reason. At the moment she is trying to host with Duncan and it's more then irritated with it I'm afraid if if don't find her a host she'll kill my coral. She is constantly knocking my frags over and rearranging things (reminds me of my Diamond goby I once had) what would cause this kind of behavior and is there anything other then an anemone she can host with and not kill?

Creating my own ocean
hydro phoenix View Drop Down
Paid Member
Paid Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hydro phoenix Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 19 2013 at 7:24am
1st: For your anemones dying, How old is your tank?  
recent absurdity..Unicorns have rabies
tink View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tink Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 19 2013 at 9:24am
I knew that was coming haha I've tried them in three tanks the eel tank been up and running for 2 yrs, the reef up and running for 8 yrs and my little 16 gl for only a few months. The 16 gl was set up with water, sand, and rock from already established tanks so it never cycled. The clowns are in the 16 gl
Creating my own ocean
Mark Peterson View Drop Down
Paid Member
Paid Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark Peterson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 19 2013 at 10:13am
Maroon Anemonefish can be murder on anemones and every other host. The beautiful GBTA in the pic below was eventually reduced to a 3" nubbin of an amemone by that lone Maroon.
I believe having a mate can help.
Have you tried training the fish using a stick or light as described in this Reefkeeping Tip?
I have noticed that an Anemone is very much its own individual. Even its clone can like different conditions. Water flow (direction and strength) is a very important variable for anemones. They will move around until they find the spot to their liking, or die trying.Cry

Aloha,
Mark Hug

Reefkeeping Tips, & quick, easy setup tricks:
www.utahreefs.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=9244
Pay it forward - become a paid WMAS member
tink View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tink Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 19 2013 at 10:35am
The one in the picture I believe is a female and she has a mate although in the past she has not allowed him to host with her. When there is an anemone in the tank she has always hosted with it within 24 hrs but they dye off within 2 weeks and she's back to my other corals in my tank. I have not tried that Mark Thanks for the link I will definitely be reading it. Is there anything at all that can handle her aggression?
Creating my own ocean
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic