Utah Reefs Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Any bird owners?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
pgravis View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pgravis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Any bird owners?
    Posted: November 10 2013 at 6:59pm
My sisters conure just got bit by a dog and has a small puncture wound on it's back.   Bleeding is controlled and it was washed with a sterile solution    I can't find any vets that are open tonight that treat exotics.   Anyone have an experience with bird emergencies? Will it be ok to wait until morning to treat it?    The bird is alert and acting somewhat normal, I guess I'm more concerned with infection. Any thoughts?
See my house: www.eclecticvictorian.com
Jeepkid View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jeepkid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 10 2013 at 7:12pm
Some vets have a 24/7 emergency phone line. well at least here in Evanston they do. I'd think some in UT would do the same. Just an option if no one chimes in here.
Brian.

"It's a Jeep thing!"
Krazie4Acans View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Krazie4Acans Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 10 2013 at 8:15pm
Rinse the area with hydrogen peroxide and then coat the wound with neosporin. Keep an eye on it so that it doesn't pick at the area. Check for any wing injuries as they are common when birds try to get away from dogs and cats.
My ocean.
90g (yup, won it!), 40g, 28g, & 10g Systems
PADI Advanced Open Water
Tank Thread:
pgravis View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pgravis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 10 2013 at 9:24pm
Thanks everyone who responded. We got it cleaned and I think it will be ok until we can get it to a vet tomorrow.   
Cheers
See my house: www.eclecticvictorian.com
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic