Utah Reefs Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Not enough lighting?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
craigory23 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote craigory23 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Not enough lighting?
    Posted: November 18 2013 at 9:24am
I'm new to saltwater and have had a 30 gal running since March. I've finally learned to appreciate water changes and tank chemistry and my water parameters have been consistently good for the past 4 months. I'm running an improvised light fixture. 1-24 inch actinic 420 and 1-24 inch 10000k. I'm beginning to worry that I possibly don't have enough lighting. My corals for the most part aren't doing poorly, but the only thing doing amazing is a frogspawn and a colt coral. My zoas, hammer, torch, and mushrooms just aren't coming out like they should. I've tried them all in different heights of the tank and messed with the flows to and can't figure it out. Any suggestions on lighting or something totally different? If you were setting up t5s for a 30 gal, what would be your set up?
Ann_A View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ann_A Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 18 2013 at 10:34am
What are the dimensions of your tank?

Also, what are your parameters?

Do you have fish? If so, what do you have?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote craigory23 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 18 2013 at 10:56am
Nitrite and nitrate:0
Ammonia:0
Salinity: 1.024
pH:8.0
Temp:78

Tank dimensions are 30x12x18

Fish in the tank are 1 yellow tail damsel, 1 3 stripe damsel, 2 clowns, and 1 engineer goby.
jwoo View Drop Down
Presidency
Presidency

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jwoo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 18 2013 at 11:08am
How old are the bulbs? Those CF should be enough for mushrooms and hammers, obviously not the best lighting ever but should be ok on a small tank. What are your phosphates reading at?
None at the moment
Soon: 72 Gallon Bowfront

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote craigory23 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 18 2013 at 11:11am
Bulbs are 7 or 8 months old. I don't have anything to test phosphate yet.
Ann_A View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ann_A Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 18 2013 at 7:18pm
Can you get to a LFS to have your water tested? If you can you might want to have them check all of these:
-Nitrate
-Phosphate
-Ph
-Calcium
-Alkalinity
-Magnesium

What brand of salt are you using for water changes? How often do you do water changes and how much do you change? What's the filtration like? Do you have extra powerheads or pumps for more flow?

Sorry it's a lot of questions. I'm just trying to get a better idea of what the setup is like.
Mark Peterson View Drop Down
Paid Member
Paid Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark Peterson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 18 2013 at 8:04pm
Aloha and Welcome,

From what you described, it's not a problem with lighting and it's not a problem with pollution(N compounds and PO4) otherwise those couple of coral would not be doing well. At 8 months, this is still a fairly new tank so the only parameters I need to know are Alkalinity and Calcium, but I'll just bet they are within range too. Read the Reefkeeping Tips thread linked below, a couple posts down from the top, to find out why I have the opinion that Alk and Ca are the most important.

We have asked a lot of questions and you are great for being willing to answer. If you don't mind, could you answer two questions that probably won't require any extra effort:
Where did the sand and rock come from? In other words, what was their condition prior to being in your tank?
Is AC (activated carbon) being used 1-2 weeks/month?

Mahalo,
Mark Hug

Reefkeeping Tips, & quick, easy setup tricks:
www.utahreefs.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=9244
Pay it forward - become a paid WMAS member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote craigory23 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 19 2013 at 3:13pm
Lol, I'll answer all the questions you've got. I appreciate the help. The sand and rock both were not live. I bought the sand at pet smart dry, in a bag. I tried to cheat with the rock to save some money and used lava rock. I scrubbed it first and then boiled it before putting it in my tank. A friend helped me seed it with some of his rock and it started turning visibly live about 3 or 4 months ago.

I'm not sure about the carbon question which probably means no. I use a hang on the back filter that has carbon filters in it, but I poor and haven't changed them for about 2 or 3 months. I haven't noticed a difference when I change them, but I also have no clue what I'm doing. The only equipment I'm running is my lights, the filter, a heater and a power head. I'm not sure if I'm missing anything there. I do dose a trace element reef accelerator well under the bottles exceptions which has helped my monti, but hasn't changed anything for better or worse with my other coral.

Hope some of that helps.
Paid Member
Paid Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark Peterson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 19 2013 at 5:33pm
Okay.
Activated Carbon (AC) is a necessity in reef tanks because it removes things that can cause problems/irritation with coral.
The disposable filter cartridges can be re-used and slit open to replace the AC. I have AC can be bought in bulk for less. I have AC for $4/lb if you want some.
Lava Rock can sometimes leach minerals into the tank that are irritating to coral.
What size of particles is the substrate?
Did you read the Reefkeeping Tips? That information can start you on your way to knowing what you are doing. Smile

Aloha,
Mark Hug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote craigory23 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 19 2013 at 6:03pm
I'll have to hop on that forum and read some more. I'll hit you up when I get paid about some AC as well. My substrate is a fine white sand.
Paid Member
Paid Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark Peterson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 19 2013 at 6:27pm
Is this the sand?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote craigory23 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 19 2013 at 6:33pm
Yup, that's it.
Paid Member
Paid Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark Peterson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 20 2013 at 7:07am
I'm sorry, but there is the problem. That sand has been causing problems for many hobbyists. Here is one: http://utahreefs.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=67406 Just a couple weeks ago, I gave this young hobbyist free Utah Oolitic sand and Utah Rock, so he wouldn't be out anything.

Sorry, this has happened to you, but if you can get to Murray We'll be happy to give you sand and rock too, no charge. We can also pack up some LR, LS and Maceoalgae to be placed in the revamped tank. Bring a cooler to keep these live components in so they will be kept warm on the way home.

For the coral and things that are currently in the tank, siphon water over to a clean storage tub, move the best of the current lace rock over, followed by coral and fish. Keep the water at room temperature (not 78) and circulate the water with a powerhead or air bubbler. Don't feed the fish while they are in this holding tub and everything will do just fine. Lower temperature is kind of like suspended animation. Keep the tub going for a week or so, while the new sand, rock, and live stuff is getting situated in the tank then move rock and coral back to the tank followed by the fish a few days later. We can talk about it more when you come get the sand and rock.

Also, I'd give away the 3 Stripe Damsel and Engineer Goby. They are not so good fish for a reef aquarium. The damsel becomes mean and vicious. The Engineer Goby ruins the biofiltration at the same time as it gets a foot long.

You don't have to do all this, but in the long run your reefkeeping experience should be a lot more fun if you try to follow as much of it as you can.

Aloha,
Mark Hug
808-345-1049 call/text anytime
750 E Lakepoint Dr. #4V, Murray

Edited by Mark Peterson - November 20 2013 at 7:09am
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic