Utah Reefs Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Cyano? Dinoflagellettes? Something else?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Shad View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Cyano? Dinoflagellettes? Something else?
    Posted: November 19 2013 at 10:39pm
Started a new topic so as to not take over Johnny's...

It could be cyano, but it's sure stubborn.. I've never had it stick around this long and come back with such a vengeance.

I went through and did the range of tests..

Nitrite 0
Nitrate 0
Ammonia 0
PH 7.9
Alk 5.4
Calc 400
Mag 1060
Phos 0.075
Salinity 1.021

Ph, Alk, Calc, Mag, and salinity are all low. Honestly it doesn't surprise me that much. I have been a neglectful reef master. I started dosing to correct those problems. I also have turned off the lights and will leave them off a couple days. The skimmer filled the cup in 2 days. I've been trying to dial it in to get the right skimmate.. It's pretty wet at the moment.

Also a new development today.. Frogspawn has started dropping heads, and my new gold torch that I got at MWRF looks like it's a goner.

And finally, just for fun, the carnage from my anemone decided to make a run for it.. Meteor shower cyphastrea nearly 80% dead..      It'll recover, it has before, just not that much.

ReefdUp View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ReefdUp Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 24 2013 at 3:23pm
First off...sorry...I somehow missed this.

Yes, it does look like cyano, and several things can cause it to look like that.

Yes, your parameters are too low - get them up. Water changes with the proper salinity salt are probably best for now.

What test kit did you use for nitrate? I'd take a sample of your water to a friend or LFS to double check.

What type of lights are you running, and when were the bulbs last changed?

You'll need to get the basics fixed first before going further.
www.reefdup.com
Diving since 2009, reefkeeping since 2007, & fishkeeping since 1987
200g, 75g, & 15g Systems
PADI Advanced Open Water
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic