Utah Reefs Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

"Knocking" MP40's

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Jeepkid View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jeepkid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: "Knocking" MP40's
    Posted: November 29 2013 at 11:03pm
Do any of you with Vortechs experience a knocking sound from your pumps? I have two on my 120 and one of them started to knock. After a while it quit but now the second one has started doing it. I set the glass thickness correctly and ive even tried it in different thickness settings just to be sure I wasnt messing it up and the knocking continues through all the settings. It is very annoying. Maybe im missing something simple here. Any help is appreciated.
Brian.

"It's a Jeep thing!"
kellerexpress View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kellerexpress Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 30 2013 at 12:06am
is it coming from the wet side or dry side?
IM 30L
Kessil A160we x2
Jeepkid View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jeepkid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 30 2013 at 12:12am
The wet side I believe. I feel it shaking when I adjust the wet side. By moving it around I can get it to quiet down for a bit but it moves out of place and gets loud again.
Brian.

"It's a Jeep thing!"
love2skiutah View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote love2skiutah Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 30 2013 at 12:12am
Grab the wet side and rotate it while it's on.  If that doesn't work, turn the pump off, pull the wet side off and reset it into place.  Mine do that every once in a while - 

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote love2skiutah Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 30 2013 at 12:19am
When you mount the dry side with the sticky tape, over time it can slide and not stick as well. I didn't notice the dry side sliding slowly and that is what kept causing mine to knock.  
Jeepkid View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jeepkid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 30 2013 at 12:21am
Ill give it another go but I have had no luck trying to adjust them so far. I cant go past like half volume because the knock gets ridiculous.
Brian.

"It's a Jeep thing!"

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote love2skiutah Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 30 2013 at 12:30am
Originally posted by Jeepkid Jeepkid wrote:

Ill give it another go but I have had no luck trying to adjust them so far. I cant go past like half volume because the knock gets ridiculous.

Try swapping the cages. 
phys View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote phys Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 30 2013 at 2:25am
look on the wetside for a non-uniform flatness. Sometimes it can warp. Also be sure its aligned well and doesn't shift after you center the two sides.
ReefdUp View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ReefdUp Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 30 2013 at 7:22am
The wet sides require maintenance...usually about after a year or so they'll start knocking. You can pick up repair kits for about $20 (although some people just buy fully new wet sides.)

I wrote up how to change the wet side if you're interested. It's not hard.

http://www.reefdup.com/2012/07/29/diy-vortech-mp-40-wet-side-maintenance/
www.reefdup.com
Diving since 2009, reefkeeping since 2007, & fishkeeping since 1987
200g, 75g, & 15g Systems
PADI Advanced Open Water
Jeepkid View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jeepkid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 30 2013 at 8:16am
Ill try n see if any of the above things work. Reefdup, when my first pump started knocking it had only been.about 3 months after I bought it but I will take it apart and see if I cant find the problem. Thank you guys. Ill follow up with what I find
Brian.

"It's a Jeep thing!"
DLindquist View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DLindquist Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 30 2013 at 9:37am
Way back in the day, I ran a WP40 on my 90G. The wet side would knock and then actually disengage itself completely. I messed around with it for a couple of weeks before calling Ecotech. I was told the wet side bushing was bad. Ecotech actually ended up sending out a whole new wet side at no cost. About two years ago we upgraded to a 270G and two MP60's. Aside from scrubbing down the wet side every three months or so, I have had no problems.
A government strong enough to give you everything you want, is powerful enough to take everything you have.

Jeepkid View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jeepkid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 30 2013 at 7:28pm
Well after messing with it for a while I must have found the sweet spot. its nice and quiet again and i can turn it up all the way with no rattle.
Brian.

"It's a Jeep thing!"
Ryanscott View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ryanscott Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 30 2013 at 7:48pm
Every time you bump them or take them off they will rattle again and you'll have to adjust them. They get better th longer you have them. I can take mine out to clean and put them back in without adjusting them and they don't rattle they almost self adjust anymore.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic