Utah Reefs Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

First time fragger

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Helipirate View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Helipirate Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: First time fragger
    Posted: December 25 2013 at 9:45pm
I have a frag of 7 red hornets and 6 sunny d's. I have never fragged before and was wondering if I need to have a bigger colonies first before I frag? If I can frag them should I cut them into a bunch of individual frags or just in a set of 3 or 4 polyps? Does the original colony need a few polyps left to survive or is 1 enough?
http://www.utahreefs.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=65068&title=helipirates-38-g-nuvo
phys View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote phys Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 25 2013 at 10:55pm
personally, I would give it more time... Others do frag when they're that few. Do it right and safe for a good survival rate.
Ann_A View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ann_A Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 25 2013 at 11:22pm
I've fragged from small mini colonies like that without problems but the majority of the time there is loss when doing something like that. I would wait until you have larger colonies to frag just for added safety and increased survival rates, as phys said.
Helipirate View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Helipirate Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 26 2013 at 9:19pm
Well no use in killing the few that I have. Thanks!
http://www.utahreefs.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=65068&title=helipirates-38-g-nuvo
phys View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote phys Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 26 2013 at 10:37pm
yea, be patient with your corals and you'll have better success. Plus, the more you have, the more you can sell lol
Will Spencer View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Will Spencer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 27 2013 at 11:08am
Originally posted by phys phys wrote:

yea, be patient with your corals and you'll have better success. Plus, the more you have, the more you can sell lol

And larger colonies grow faster.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic