Utah Reefs Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

40 gallon build with 30 gallon sump

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123
Author
Durff View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Durff Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 22 2014 at 6:50pm
I'm guessing a lot of your rock was dry rock? If so, how long did you wait for your dry rock to turn to live rock?
xessive force View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote xessive force Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 22 2014 at 7:07pm
One month by far the vast majority of the rock was dry. I did seed the tank with live rock chunks and live sand.   

My guess is it's some form of Bactria growing on the rocks due to their dry state when I put them in the tank.

Edited by xessive force - February 22 2014 at 7:08pm
Yesterday is history, tomorrow is a mystery, but today is a gift that's why they call it the present.
xessive force View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote xessive force Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 09 2014 at 7:32pm
So it's now been about 3 months with the tank fully up and running. The issues that I had with the bacteria covering the rocks and some of the corals seems to have figured itself out. The tank is looking pretty good except no real coriline has started to grow. I have done so much messing with the t5 lights etc from changing bulbs to changing the hight of the fixture ect that I am not supprised. I have settled on one 10k bulb one blue plus bulb and two actinic bulbs.

The sump seems to be going great the macro is growing great the bug life is doing great as well.

In an attempt to help the coriline get going I used some "purple up" by seachem and I think the swing of ph caused the demise of two of the SPS corals. They bleached out in one day to my anger, that and I saw my coral beauty nipping at one of them . I did not see the fish nip at it until the flesh started melting off. So I think it was a case of it dying first then the fish nipping.

With a disclaimer, I have not had good luck with the SPS in the tank however the softies, and zoa's seem to be growing great with quite a few new eyes growing on the zoa's. The leather has been growing and has its feeders out quite a bit. The two mushrooms in the tank look great and are growing. The hammer seems to be doing better.

The disclaimer is I went way to fast trying to put corals in before the tank was ready for them I think. I am trying to slow myself down and get the tank more automated let it mature and then I will start adding frags slowly. For now I am just going to let it keep growing up as hard as it is because the rocks sure do look bare

Big new for my little tank is this week I added an auto top off system that is pretty diy. I got the switches from Adam and I wired in a small maxi jet pump. Seems to be working for now, I will keep my eyes on it for the next few days to make sure the water levels stay constant.
Yesterday is history, tomorrow is a mystery, but today is a gift that's why they call it the present.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123
  Share Topic