Utah Reefs Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

8 Gallon Nano build for son

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
bmac2 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bmac2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: 8 Gallon Nano build for son
    Posted: January 02 2014 at 1:50pm
Our 9 year old has his heart set on a pair of "Ghost Clowns" as he calls the platinum or wyoming whites, so I picked up an 8 gallon nano from someone on KSL.  It had a little rock in it, I left the sand because I wouldn't even haul it home, it was half good sand and half Utah sand, and we know my feeling on Utah sand!!!

I put some washed sand that I got from Shawn and had sitting in my frag system to stay wet, and I added one huge piece of live rock that used to have a ton of tube macro algea, but when we put our Sea Hare "Dewayne the Rock Johnson" in our tank he liked the taste so he almost decimated the rock so I pulled it out of my display.  I also used about 3 gallons of water from my display tank to seed it. 

For now it is sitting and cycling.  Per Bob's suggestion the center chamber in the back I put full of Cheato and macro algea to filter and to help with the balance in the tank. 

Here are the pics of the tank sitting on my son's desk.  The marineland cheap LED I had so that is what I used.

Aquarium Creations 300 gallon tank
Stand by Dion
bmac2 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bmac2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 02 2014 at 1:54pm
The plans for this is a pair of clowns, my daughter wants a red tip starfish, a GREEN anemone, Hunter says it has to be green, NOT red. 

and we figure at most 2 other small fish, which we are debating what.  Maybe a dragon wrasse, since my wife really wants one and i won't let one NEAR the big tank!!!  Then maybe a blenny of some kind.  or a mandrin, but I worry about enough pod and food for a madrin in it.  Who knows, will be a while before the tank is ready for anything.  Any suggestions for this little tank are welcome.  I have only run a 90 gallon, a 300 gallon and for a short while a 29 gallon.  So this nano stick is a total learning experience for me.  And I hope it is NOT as expensive as some of my learning on my 300 gallon!!!!
Aquarium Creations 300 gallon tank
Stand by Dion
Mike Savage View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mike Savage Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 02 2014 at 5:44pm
Small tanks are made to be viewed up close and work well for specimens that would get lost in a large system. I like the idea of a Pistol Shrimp/Goby combination down in the sand and with an anemone some kind of anemone fish/crab/shrimp to go with it.

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic