Utah Reefs Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

AEFW

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
laroc View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote laroc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: AEFW
    Posted: January 03 2014 at 4:14pm
I have the dreaded AEFW. Still doing some research on how to get ride of them,  but this is what I have found. Levamisole ( pig dewormer), betadine and tropic marin pro coral cure. Anyone every tried any of these products or have any other remedies for these pests.
Thanks for your help.

Anyone every try African blue strip pipe fish?
Always be leery of a fish farmer...wait or is it a pig farmer?
Krazie4Acans View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Krazie4Acans Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 03 2014 at 4:34pm
Flat worm exit has worked great. I've read about those others but I stick to the one I have seen work over and over.
My ocean.
90g (yup, won it!), 40g, 28g, & 10g Systems
PADI Advanced Open Water
Tank Thread:
ReefdUp View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ReefdUp Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 03 2014 at 4:57pm
Krazie - I have had no luck with Salifert's Flatworm Exit, and every study I've ever read...and every thread I've ever read...has come to the same conclusion. What dosage? How long? If this product actually worked, everyone would be doing it....

You may be able to control them with various fish, etc., but please do not share/sell your corals without disclosing that you have AEFW. Natural controls are not a cure. AEFW also have excellent camouflage, so predators often miss enough to be effective. You can take a turkey baster and blow them off weekly for fish to eat them, but if you forget a week, then your corals may not survive. Additionally, if a piece of a flatworm is uneaten and contains partial neurological tissue, it can regenerate. Most wrasses just take a bite of the flatworms then split them out (so you may be actually increasing your population by natural controls).

IME, there is no in-tank cure. Levamisole works, but it has a mortality rate of around 40-60% on your coral...not ideal. You can also use fluke tabs, but the mortality rate isn't much better (and the treatment time is about 4-6 hours). Various dips work, but they don't kill the eggs. You'll need to repeatedly dip the corals over several weeks to stop the life cycle. Personally, I like the Bayer Advanced Insecticide (found at Lowe's/Home Depot) since it's cheap and effective. You could also use Coral Rx, TMPCC, Lugol's, etc....with varying degrees of effectiveness.

This is how I dip/treat...you can return the corals to your display after treatment.

Week 1: dip all Acropora corals every day for 10-15 minutes...

Week 2: dip all Acropora corals every other day (same time)

Week 3: every third day...

Week 4-6: Once a week unless you're still finding them...then go back to Week 1's protocol...

Edited by ReefdUp - January 03 2014 at 5:00pm
www.reefdup.com
Diving since 2009, reefkeeping since 2007, & fishkeeping since 1987
200g, 75g, & 15g Systems
PADI Advanced Open Water
phys View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote phys Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 04 2014 at 2:33am
I just fresh water dipped the entire rocks of every acro I had when I caught them on a couple corals I had. Kicked every last worm off in about 30 seconds. But it also bleached the corals. Most of them survived though and I haven't seen anything of them again yet (hopefully). I occasionally re-dip one using a coral dip that had been infected before and none have come off so far. I have used this stuff before on infected acros and it has successfully pulled them off. If you do a whole rock though, it will kill a lot of the life in it. Be sure to check around the base of the acro for little red spots which are the eggs of the AEFW.
laroc View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote laroc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 06 2014 at 1:36pm
Thanks for the info everyone. Might have to try the fresh water since I'm running nanos and don"t really have the water volume to do what reefup suggests. I hear you on the flat exit as well. Every thread I read said no go on flatworm exit. There were some who were increasing the dosage but I couldn't find conclusive evidence to take that route.

On the bright side I only have one acropora to lose but on the bad side lost my meteor shower over the weekend. She went fast within 24hr. Dont have a clue what happened. Guess I will do another post and see what everyone thinks
Always be leery of a fish farmer...wait or is it a pig farmer?
Trevor40 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Trevor40 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 18 2014 at 10:14am
Any new on this? I've taken every last Acro out of my tank for several months to kill aefw in my tank. The eggs that hatch with die within 24 hours and I figure the adult aefw should be starved within 3 weeks of no food.
Call or Text (801)834-3119
mikebrennan View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mikebrennan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 19 2014 at 8:21pm
How did you get them?
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic