Utah Reefs Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Salt water mixing station pump help

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
96slowbra View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 96slowbra Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Salt water mixing station pump help
    Posted: January 08 2014 at 6:30pm
I am building a mixing station and i have a blueline 30hdx external pump, and I am worried that it might be too big. The pump is rated at 1100gph and my containers are 25 gallons each. I am going to run continuous water changes, 1 gallon per day, so the salt container will typically not be full. At volume between 5 and 25 gallons I feel like it might be hard on a pump that big.

And how do you run a mix pump? I will control it with an apex. Do I run 15 min per hour, and 2 hours after adding salt? Should I throw a nano koralias in there and run it continuous?
105 rimless
Deluxe247 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Deluxe247 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 17 2014 at 1:54pm
I'm interested in this concept since I don't know of anyone who does continuous water changes. I would be curious what is driving this decision - what are the pros and cons?

As far as the mixing pump goes, that pump may seem like overkill for the volumes you're talking about (at least the low end of your range), but I have run a mag 12 on my 25 gal mixing system and it works well. Faster pumps do mix fast. As long as it doesn't suck air and cavitate it should work well.

As for running the mixing process, I run my pump for a couple of hours after adding salt. Again, that is on my system where I do water changes every few months or so. With a "continuous" system I think it would depend on how much salt you're adding and how frequently. I would like to know more about how you envision the continuous system working.
90G Mixed Reef
96slowbra View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 96slowbra Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 24 2014 at 9:54pm
i have a liter meter that will do the continuous water changes. it will break down my decided daily water change into small changes around the clock. it is basically 2 peristaltic pumps that can be calibrated to match.
with small basically constant water changes there won't be any swings in cal, alk, and mag. it will also help allow me to run a smaller cal reactor to keep up with consumption.
i think the pump will do just fine. as you mention, i can probably just run it for an hour or so when mixing new salt, and then just maybe 10-15 min per hour otherwise.    
105 rimless
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic