Utah Reefs Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Returning/New

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Redtree View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Redtree Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Returning/New
    Posted: January 12 2014 at 10:57pm
12 years ago I had a 55 gallon freshwater tank, later turned it into a saltwater tank.  Back when I started I purchased a complete package from Tampa Bay Salt Water.  The reason I did that is because it seemed to be the easiest way to get start a tank.  It lasted about two years and then sold everything off because it really wasn't the way I wanted it set up.

A month ago I purchased a 29g Biocube and stand.  I also purchased a used reef tank from a person living near Layton.  I took what I wanted from it and then sold the rest.  For my new tank, I added a few extra pieces of live rock to get the design I wanted.

Currently, Ive got 40 pounds of Fiji pink live sand and 26 pounds of very porous live rock.  I have a Aquatic Life skimmer in chamber one, since I work at a plastic fabricator, I duplicated an InTank media basket and fuge, and in chamber 3 I've got the heater & digital thermometer.

In the media basket I've got filter floss, chemi pure, and not sure if I will put some chaeto, carbon, or live rock rubble in one of the section.  Currently I've got chaeto in the fugue basket and I purchased an Ecoxotic Panorama Pro 2.0 LED w/ white and blue lights (not too sure if this was the right led for the chaeto but too late now) for the fuge.  

I currently have a torch coral, pulsing xenia, frog spawn, red and purple/blue mushrooms, green carpet anemone, two rose bulb anemone's, piece of live rock with multiple colors of polyps (the former owner said that alone cost $100.00), kenya tree, something that looks like a tooth coral or a green/lavendar mushroom but not sure, and I think I've got some button polyps.  I've also got a green star polyp--I've been told to get this contained on a single piece of live rock that can be removed.  I've got to agree since it has grown from a size of a dime to a quarter since I've had it.  The coral that was in the worst shape because of the move was the frog spawn but it is starting to show new growth but it still has no color--just brown right now.

The tank has a purple dotty back, diamond watchman goby, an a percula clown.  The clown will jam it's nose into the rose bulb anemone and hang out in the torch coral.

I'm planning on getting a 6 line wrasse next.  Not too sure what soft corals or LPS that I'll be purchasing next.  I've got a lot of green in the tank and I'd like to get more red or purples.

So far so good.  Only time will tell.    
LakeCityReefs View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LakeCityReefs Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 12 2014 at 11:22pm
Sounds awesome. Share some snapshots when you can.
bstuver View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bstuver Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 12 2014 at 11:24pm
Welcome! Sounds like a nice start. The only thing I see that might be a problem is the carpet anemone and that would be that they get gigantic, unless it happens to be a maxi mini anemone not a carpet. Start a thread with some pics in the tank section we would love to see your tank:)
Jackie Stuver

"wait these aren't the happy Hawaiians oompa doompa godly heaven on your face zoas?   I dont want them then. lol!" Ksmart
Mike Savage View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mike Savage Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 13 2014 at 5:52am
Welcome!

Edited by Mike Savage - January 13 2014 at 5:52am

Dion Richins View Drop Down
Presidency
Presidency

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dion Richins Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 13 2014 at 7:15am
Welcome back!!
Bad "censored" Cabinets
Best quality in the valley! He is one sexy bald guy, even with out a finger!(MAC)
Jeremyw View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jeremyw Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 14 2014 at 9:53am
Welcome! Glad you are here! 

J
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic