Utah Reefs Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Slow Leak

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Ann_A View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ann_A Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Slow Leak
    Posted: January 28 2014 at 6:04pm
So two days ago I noticed some salt creep on the back right corner of my tank (along the bottom rim) and wiped it off. I have not put my hand in the tank or spilled water since then and have now found more salt creep in the exact same place. The tank is a Red Sea Max 250 that is about 2.5 years old. My question is do I need to worry about this immediately or do I dare wait a few months before doing something about this? I really don't want to spend the time to fix this tank and would prefer to just get a new system set up and replace it but if I need to worry about this immediately I will probably be sticking with this tank. The leak is extremely slow and doesn't result in actual water pooled up, just salt creep.
Crazy Tarzan View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Crazy Tarzan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 28 2014 at 6:18pm
It might just be from the tank evaporation, or even coming down one of the cords.  Or even a bit of spilled water that is slowly working its way out.

The back right is the compartment with all the cords coming into it correct?  Pull the power center out and see if you have any moisture inside that area, and check your cords to see if any show any crystalline salt at all.

Edited by Crazy Tarzan - January 28 2014 at 6:19pm
Was that in there yesterday? Casper--WY windier than ?

Down to a 20, soon to double or nothing
Adam Blundell View Drop Down
Presidency
Presidency

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Adam Blundell Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 28 2014 at 6:20pm
I'd be inclined to leave it.  If it is really leaking.... you have a problem.  If you have a little leak that may self seal then I'd let it go and see how it develops.  Maybe I'm crazy.  

Adam
Come to a meeting, they’re fun!
Mike Savage View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mike Savage Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 28 2014 at 6:27pm
Is the water level too high? When I had my RSM I had to make sure the water level did not go as high as the black plastic trim or it would slowly leak between the top of the glass and the bottom of the plastic trim.

Dion Richins View Drop Down
Presidency
Presidency

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dion Richins Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 28 2014 at 6:56pm
I had the same problem as Mike.
Bad "censored" Cabinets
Best quality in the valley! He is one sexy bald guy, even with out a finger!(MAC)
Ann_A View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ann_A Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 29 2014 at 1:02pm
The water barely hits the black rim when my vortechs pulse. However I lowered the overflow gate slightly last night so the water level is lower. I'm pretty sure it's a leak though because the power center compartment only has salt buildup in the very bottom by the silicone and on the bottom piece of glass.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic