Utah Reefs Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

best product/way to raise Magnesium

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
peiji View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote peiji Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: best product/way to raise Magnesium
    Posted: February 03 2014 at 1:58pm
I was going to buy BRS solutions to maintain the levels in the tank but I need to "quickly" raise the magnesium to where it should be first. Is there a better/cheaper option than to use a bunch of the BRS stuff? I know there are homemade recipes for Calcium and Alkalinity but I've never heard of one for Magnesium. Is there a specific product that's better than another? lastly, how quickly can you raise magnesium without adversely affecting other things? 
Jared Page
Highland, UT
Graphic Designer
LaRue View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LaRue Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 03 2014 at 2:07pm
If there is corals in the tank you shouldn't raise it more than 100 ppm a day and as far as cheaper no there isn't a cheaper way than brs two part at least to my knowledge.
LaRue View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LaRue Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 03 2014 at 2:09pm
What are your readings?
peiji View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote peiji Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 03 2014 at 2:17pm
well, the readings were around 960 if I remember right but to be honest, i don't entirely trust the test kit. It's many, many years old. I've already ordered new test kits so I won't do anything till it arrives and I've re-tested but I just want to be prepared to have whatever I need on-hand as it will take another several days of waiting if I order BRS. Plus, I still have lots of old B-Ionic 2 part solution of Calcium and Alkalinity that I'd like to use up before I get the BRS. 
Jared Page
Highland, UT
Graphic Designer
BobC63 View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BobC63 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 03 2014 at 2:17pm
Jared -

What is your current reading for Mg? You should be looking to keep it at about 1300 -1400ppm.

If it is under 1000 ppm, I would say you could raise it 200ppm per day until it gets to 1000ppm. After that, go 100 ppm per day until you hit 1400ppm.

'Homemade' Mg mix is simply Epsom Salts (Mg SO4) mixed with Mg Cl... You can use the Epsom Salts by themselves to raise the Mg up to where you want it; however, you should use the mix of both long - term to avoid leaving excess sulfates in your water.

- My Current Tank: 65g Starfire (sitting empty for 2+ years) -

* Marine & Reef tanks since 1977 *
ReefdUp View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ReefdUp Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 03 2014 at 2:29pm
I agree with Bob. In a pinch, you can use epsom salts from the pharmacy or grocery store, but you should combine it with magnesium chloride as soon as possible.
www.reefdup.com
Diving since 2009, reefkeeping since 2007, & fishkeeping since 1987
200g, 75g, & 15g Systems
PADI Advanced Open Water
LaRue View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LaRue Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 03 2014 at 2:52pm
Sad part is though Epsom salt its still more expensive than brs two part lol
ReefdUp View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ReefdUp Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 03 2014 at 3:58pm
BRS two part is pretty much as cheap as it gets. Sorry.
www.reefdup.com
Diving since 2009, reefkeeping since 2007, & fishkeeping since 1987
200g, 75g, & 15g Systems
PADI Advanced Open Water
badfinger View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote badfinger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 03 2014 at 4:28pm
Costco sells magnesium chloride for driveway salt. I have some I use for driveway salt if you need some quick. I also use brs mix
Lewy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lewy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 04 2014 at 5:10pm
Originally posted by badfinger badfinger wrote:

Costco sells magnesium chloride for driveway salt. I have some I use for driveway salt if you need some quick. I also use brs mix

I use the same stuff.  I suggest straining it through a coffee filter before putting it in your tank.  I tend to get a little black precipitation on the bottom when I first mix it.  I also pick up a box of Epsom salts from Costco too.
40 gal w/ 20 sump
peiji View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote peiji Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 07 2014 at 10:17am
My new test kit finally arrived and it turns out that the Mg is around 1400. I guess expired kits really don't work. My Alk is really low though so now I'm working that out. 
Jared Page
Highland, UT
Graphic Designer
LakeCityReefs View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LakeCityReefs Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 07 2014 at 12:33pm

Here is a link to help with dosing. The nice thing about this link is that it gives you the option to use DIY solutions such as Epsom and Baking Soda if you want to. It will also warn your dosing will alter your PH.
I just raised my Mag with Epsom from 1200 up to 1300 a couple days ago.

http://reef.diesyst.com/chemcalc/chemcalc.http://reef.diesyst.com/chemcalc/chemcalc.html
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic