Utah Reefs Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

pH test kit/monitor

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
peiji View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote peiji Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: pH test kit/monitor
    Posted: February 05 2014 at 9:49am
I just used up my last test kit for pH. Does anyone know who has the best prices locally for test kits that you like and are easy to read? I hate the kind where you have to compare color gradations but maybe that's all you get for the cheap test kits. I know they sell cheap digital readers online but i've read so many negative user comments it's hard to know whether it's worth it. Recommendations? 
Jared Page
Highland, UT
Graphic Designer
LaRue View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LaRue Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 05 2014 at 11:01am
They are expensive but I love controllers there is so much you can do with them checking your Ph is just a drop in the bucket for what they can do you're basic ones start at about $100 and you can find used ones on here all the time
Mark Peterson View Drop Down
Paid Member
Paid Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark Peterson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 05 2014 at 12:22pm
I'm curious why you are checking pH with test kit.
I test and maintain Alk and never have to worry about pH because in a well set up, well circulated, open tank, pH follows Alk.
Reefkeeping Tips, & quick, easy setup tricks:
www.utahreefs.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=9244
Pay it forward - become a paid WMAS member
Ann_A View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ann_A Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 05 2014 at 12:34pm
I use a controller as well and love it. I'd be tempted to buy another monitor so that when I have my calcium reactor back online I can use the monitor to check the tank ph.

Mark if you remember what happened to me it shouldn't be too much of a question as to why you would want to check ph. I had great chemistry except when it came to ph. As it turned out I had an abundant supply of co2 in the house.
peiji View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote peiji Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 05 2014 at 1:58pm
Mark, I can answer your question a couple of different ways.

1st, I just like to have something on-hand in case of emergency trouble-shooting. I've read some posts on this forum that some LFSs have prices cheaper than online. Just wondering which ones. I'm not really looking to spend $100+ on a monitor or controller. 

2nd, I need a pH test kit for my jellyfish tank which is very different from a reef. I'm sure it's similar to a fish-only tank but I don't know how things change with no corals in a tank. 

3rd, I just upgraded to a new tank (Mike's 50g cube) and I don't know yet what my dosing schedule should be. I'd like to make sure my pH doesn't swing too much by manually dosing. Perhaps I'm just being overly cautious. It would be great if someone would lend me their pH monitor until i get my dosing schedule figured out but i don't know how much of an inconvenience it is to ask.
Jared Page
Highland, UT
Graphic Designer
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic