Utah Reefs Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

300 gallon stock tank

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author
simpleyork View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote simpleyork Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 23 2014 at 9:50pm
I've got some Cheato about baseball size . . . anyone have extra?
bmac2 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bmac2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 24 2014 at 9:13am
so you used Utah sand in that tank?  I am sorry.  Hope you didn't want any corals to live in it.  If you are determined to use that metal contaminated sand from Utah, then I would get someone to test the sand and see how many metals and how much arsenic is in it.  Trust me, after losing a couple of grand worth of corals to Utah sand, it is NOT worth the risk.  That is my opinion, and the opinion of a lot of more knowledgeable people than me.  

Utah rock is different, you can wash the hell out of it and no harm no foul.  It was formed centuries before we started mining and filling the air with particulate matter, which can float for 100s of miles before hitting the ground, and contaminating the land.

But do NOT use Utah sand, it is playing Russian roulette.  Trust me, I did it despite the advice from Eric, and several other knowledgeable people to NOT try it, but I had to and now I regret the hell out of it!!!
Aquarium Creations 300 gallon tank
Stand by Dion
Adam Blundell View Drop Down
Presidency
Presidency

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Adam Blundell Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 24 2014 at 10:59am
Really?

Adam
Come to a meeting, they’re fun!
wickedsnowman View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wickedsnowman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 24 2014 at 11:24am
I have used utah sand in every tank I have ever set up an never had a problem with it. Where did you collect it from bmac?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote simpleyork Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 27 2014 at 2:57pm
the water is all clear now, ended up leaving the powerheads on so it tok a few extra days.
bur01014 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bur01014 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 27 2014 at 3:52pm
Utah sand is the best sand I have ever used....I wouldn't use any other type...unless you like barebottoms.
Akira View Drop Down
Paid Member
Paid Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Akira Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 03 2014 at 12:22am
I have used ut sand on my previous tank and BMAC the macro algae you got from me came from a tank with ut sand in the fuge.  There is gold in Ut also but the weird thing is there is none in the sand I use . Guess i should just assume there is no gold here since I didnt find it my tank . Or maybe I just had sand that was  already mined out but only panned and not chemically extracted . Might explain the heavy metals or maybe just the area it was collected from was heavily mined. Uranium was mined here also but my tank only glows with leds....... Just a thought .

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote simpleyork Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 20 2014 at 1:01am
the water is clear now BUT i haven't taken any knew photos
I cracked the 40 gallon while doing the wood work so now I have a igloo cooler . . .
my net was way too small for this boy so here he is getting moved into the pool, oh and he is the small one out of the three I have 

I'll get more photos tomorrow as I am stuck at home while some shipments of fish and inverts get delivered
Mark Peterson View Drop Down
Paid Member
Paid Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark Peterson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 20 2014 at 7:41am
Sweet raccoon keeping watch over your awesome Rays. Smile
May we see a pic from above with the pumps off?
Reefkeeping Tips, & quick, easy setup tricks:
www.utahreefs.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=9244
Pay it forward - become a paid WMAS member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote simpleyork Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 20 2014 at 8:18am
soon enough, I'll get it when the kids get up. ended up using the Carib water clearer stuff after trying it on an invert tank to make sure it was rayish safe. Cleared up in just a few short hours after that, and the stuff actually stick to the filter pads instead of clouding it up as I pull them out to rinse them out.
Also might pick up a track light system today and some LEDS for it so the rays are more visible. 
Mark Peterson View Drop Down
Paid Member
Paid Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark Peterson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 20 2014 at 8:51am
Is that the CaribSea Biomagnet Water Clarifier? I found several water clarifiers in a search. They look like good products, though I've never used those particular products. The description says it is marine invert and fish safe and also says that it enhances the biological filtration. It appears this is quite simply a bottle of gram positive starter bacteria. By it's description, I wonder how well it would work to clear up the cloudy water, bacterial bloom problems that some hobbyists bring to this forum from time to time?

Of course, sooner or later the natural growth of a bacterial film on every surface will attract suspended particles and keep water clear.

Aloha,
Mark

P.S.
One note - you probably know this but inverts are different enough animals than fish that a substance that is safe for one, may not necessarily be safe for the other.
Reefkeeping Tips, & quick, easy setup tricks:
www.utahreefs.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=9244
Pay it forward - become a paid WMAS member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote simpleyork Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 22 2014 at 12:40pm
a little cloudy do to them digging in the sand

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote simpleyork Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 25 2014 at 5:12pm
for the past two days it has been crystal clear!!!
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
  Share Topic