Utah Reefs Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Corals Dying

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author
Mark Peterson View Drop Down
Paid Member
Paid Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark Peterson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 01 2014 at 8:58am
+1

Are we to assume that you have verified that the temperature reading is correct?
What is the room temperature? If over 78, can it be cooled down a little?

We live in Utah where humidity is low enough (20-40%) to make evaporation a smart way to cool things. A small clip-on fan can be placed to blow across the water. By adjusting the angle of the fan across the water and adjusting the speed of the air flow we can drop the aquarium temperature anywhere from 1 - 15 degrees. So much better than a chiller for so many reasons.

I just picked up a nice new small chrome fan at the DI for $2. I wondered why I felt like buying it. It must be for you. Smile

I found this pic of the top area of a red sea max s 500 Is this the space between the lights and the water? There isn't a glass or plastic cover over the top, is there?

Aloha,
Mark Hug
808-345-1049 call/text/visit anytime

Reefkeeping Tips, & quick, easy setup tricks:
www.utahreefs.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=9244
Pay it forward - become a paid WMAS member
love2skiutah View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote love2skiutah Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 01 2014 at 9:31am
Those $8 clip on fans from Walmart work really well.  In my 120, it would drop the temp of the system down 1.5 degrees.  
Matt View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Matt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 01 2014 at 9:35am
I looked on their website. It also appears to have 3-4 submersible power heads with the return pump. They also have a designated spot in the stand for a chiller so they must know of a heat problem.
Matt Savage

"Tattoos and Street Bikes"
Boston View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Boston Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 03 2014 at 10:43pm
Matt- What size fan would you recommend?
Boston View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Boston Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 03 2014 at 10:48pm
Mark - My tank is just like the picture you posted. Nothing between the lights and the top of the water. My brand new digital thermometer is reading 82.9 degrees with the lights on. The room temperature that the tank is in is 70 degrees too.

Edited by Boston - April 03 2014 at 10:51pm
bstuver View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bstuver Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 03 2014 at 11:14pm
You can buy anytime of clip on fan and point it right at your sump water, that should help cool it down a bit
Jackie Stuver

"wait these aren't the happy Hawaiians oompa doompa godly heaven on your face zoas?   I dont want them then. lol!" Ksmart
ReefdUp View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ReefdUp Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 03 2014 at 11:35pm
Brand new digital thermometers can still be inaccurate. I would double check it with ice water. It won't take but a minute to check.

If you are running that hot, get the temp down! A cheapo fan will do just fine!
www.reefdup.com
Diving since 2009, reefkeeping since 2007, & fishkeeping since 1987
200g, 75g, & 15g Systems
PADI Advanced Open Water
Mike Savage View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mike Savage Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 04 2014 at 5:57am
Originally posted by ReefdUp ReefdUp wrote:

Brand new digital thermometers can still be inaccurate. I would double check it with ice water. It won't take but a minute to check.

If you are running that hot, get the temp down! A cheapo fan will do just fine!

I totally agree. Digital thermometers need to be checked for accuracy!

Paid Member
Paid Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark Peterson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 04 2014 at 2:19pm
I'm a little surprised that this thread is going as slow as it is. This problem is urgent. Why not call me now to get your questions answered and get the problem solved immediately? My number is 808-345-1049. Call right now. I'm serious.

Originally posted by Boston Boston wrote:

...brand new digital thermometer is reading 82.9 degrees with the lights on. The room temperature that the tank is in is 70 degrees too.
Shocked Something is very wrong. The tank should not be that hot in a 70 degree room. Call me now so I can help you get to the bottom of this problem. I've helped hundreds of hobbyists that have made that call.

Aloha,
Mark Hug
808-345-1049 call/text/visit anytime
bstuver View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bstuver Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 04 2014 at 3:05pm
If it does have four submersible pumps along with the main pump that may be where all the heat is coming from. I added a uv to my tank and the extra pump was taking my water from 76-77 up to 80 degrees so I had to turn it off during the day time when lights and what not are running. Especially with your lights being as close to the water as it looks like in that stock picture
Jackie Stuver

"wait these aren't the happy Hawaiians oompa doompa godly heaven on your face zoas?   I dont want them then. lol!" Ksmart
DLindquist View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DLindquist Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 04 2014 at 3:11pm
Originally posted by bstuver bstuver wrote:

If it does have four submersible pumps along with the main pump that may be where all the heat is coming from. I added a uv to my tank and the extra pump was taking my water from 76-77 up to 80 degrees so I had to turn it off during the day time when lights and what not are running. Especially with your lights being as close to the water as it looks like in that stock picture

I agree with Jackie. Chances are the room is getting warmer than 70 degrees. I haven't read most of the other comments but I imagine you've got your heater(s) dialed way back or unplugged?
A government strong enough to give you everything you want, is powerful enough to take everything you have.

Boston View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Boston Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 06 2014 at 8:16pm
I've checked my digital thermometer and it's spot on. I've decided to run just six T5s, instead of the 10 T5s. It seems to help keep the tank temperature to 81 with lights on and 79 with lights off. Thank you everyone for your input!
Paid Member
Paid Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark Peterson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 06 2014 at 9:39pm
That's not much difference from what it was with 10 lights. My coral would not be comfortable at the temperatures you are talking about. And from what you said over the phone, the temp does not drop much at night, probably because of the 6 pumps! I would work to get the temperature lower, especially with warm weather coming on. At those temps you must be losing a lot of water to evaporation already. I'd find a way to run the RO water to an auto top off valve.

I saw one of these tanks at Petco the other day. It looks to me like the tank was ill designed with regard to temperature. For one thing, they should have made it so the lights could be raised higher.

Even with it's disadvantages, it could be DIY'd to overcome those disadvantages. It can be done. I would be happy to come by and take a look at it with you. Let me know.

Aloha Hug
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
  Share Topic