Utah Reefs Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Crisis Diverted!!!

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
justchillinuno View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote justchillinuno Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Crisis Diverted!!!
    Posted: April 20 2014 at 9:07pm
Hello, 

I have a situation where i just moved 2 sets of clowns into my 90 gallon... My Orange Clowns have had an anemone for almost a year, the Black ones had one that didnt like the tank and i have it being nursed at a LFS.... Once the Black ones saw the Orange in the Anemone they dove in it and now the Orange are PISSED!!! I figure give the black ones their own on the other side of the tank!!! Please advice!! Spent all day moving 2 tanks into the 90g!!! Have lights turned off and hoping for the best!!!

Edited by justchillinuno - April 21 2014 at 2:16pm
55g - RIP - Moved to 90g
36g Bow holding tank
90g Reef Tank
Dreams of many more!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote justchillinuno Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 20 2014 at 9:09pm
With lights off they have stopped picking at each other... and all 4 are now in the anemone!..... 
55g - RIP - Moved to 90g
36g Bow holding tank
90g Reef Tank
Dreams of many more!
Mark Peterson View Drop Down
Paid Member
Paid Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark Peterson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 21 2014 at 8:22am
Poor BTA. Unhappy I'd either add two more or remove the one altogether for the time being. In the pic it doesn't look that large and it could get beat up by 4 Anemonefish. I'd watch the situation carefully, especially in the daytime.

I would probably change the aquascaping. That can sometimes stir up the social situation causing the fish to adjust and get along better.

The aquascaping could benefit by larger spaces between rocks for the fish to move around.

How about creating a mountain ridge that rises almost to the water surface?

Place the powerheads down low near the sand in the back corners with some rock in front to partially hide them. PH's pointed up with the stream hitting the center water surface will give much better circulation and create better pH. To point the PH's up higher, cut a single notch in the base holder. This allows the PH attachment post a more vertical orientation.

Try to resist the tendency to fill in all the holes in the aquascaping.

Take some of the front rocks off the sand to make the high ridge and open up the sand.
Just some ideas that I have gained over the years. Smile

There is the chance that several pairs can get along but I wouldn't be surprised if the Anemonefish social structure changes, even in the presence of more anemones. One female might become dominant and may swap it's mate. The ousted black and orange will have to stay away. The other female may become subservient so much that it eventually dies. The odd male would then keep to itself on the other side of the tank. The lone guy may become so territorial of it's little area that it bites the hand that feeds it. These are just things that I have seen happen. Smile

Aloha Hug
Reefkeeping Tips, & quick, easy setup tricks:
www.utahreefs.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=9244
Pay it forward - become a paid WMAS member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote justchillinuno Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 21 2014 at 8:39am
Thanks for the tips, the BTA gets as larger than a softball when fully open and happy... the pic was taken about an hour after everything was put in... This morning it was open more and the pair of B/W Clownies are staying back a bit from the others... We are getting another Anemone at lunch today ( around noonish) and putting it on the other side of the tank. 

As far as Aqauscaping im open to suggestions and we are still getting the final setup figured out... 
55g - RIP - Moved to 90g
36g Bow holding tank
90g Reef Tank
Dreams of many more!
JustAddSalt View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JustAddSalt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 21 2014 at 12:39pm
I have one large RBTA and a small one.. you can have them both for 5$
if you want to come get them.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote justchillinuno Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 21 2014 at 2:15pm
UPDATE!!!! Anemone found and they are already hosting in it!!!

Edited by justchillinuno - April 21 2014 at 2:49pm
55g - RIP - Moved to 90g
36g Bow holding tank
90g Reef Tank
Dreams of many more!
Mike Savage View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mike Savage Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 21 2014 at 2:36pm
Sweet!

aceofspadeskb View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote aceofspadeskb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 21 2014 at 2:49pm
I've had a pair of clowns in my tank for 11 months now, an anemone for 12.  They still don't host.  This just isn't fair.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote justchillinuno Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 21 2014 at 2:54pm
Ace... Call me crazy... but i posted pictures on my tank of hosted anemones for a couple weeks... then daily i would kind of corral them near the anemone with large nets... so they hung out in the area the anemone was located. It was love at first touch! Same with the Black/White ones and the anemone we put in today... just corralled them near it and it just took one of them brushing against it and the whoosh... they havent left it.... 
55g - RIP - Moved to 90g
36g Bow holding tank
90g Reef Tank
Dreams of many more!
Mark Peterson View Drop Down
Paid Member
Paid Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark Peterson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 22 2014 at 8:21am
Awesome that the Anemonefish responded positively to another anemone. I guess I didn't need to say anything about it. (Everyone nods in unison Embarrassed)
Originally posted by justchillinuno justchillinuno wrote:

As far as Aqauscaping im open to suggestions and we are still getting the final setup figured out... 
Here is a little more about that http://utahreefs.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=38324
Try the things I said above about the PHs. The benefits are usually quite surprising.

Though the aquascaping is kind of squarish Ermm, note the gaps between the rocks in one of my former tanks, TOTM November 2008. The two main PHs are hidden behind rock in each back bottom corner. All that is seen is the electrical cord. They were normal PH's so they didn't push the 1000 gph of today's stream PHs. The Poormans Wavemaker PH in the middle top, so useful then, looks ugly to me now.

The Guest Speaker at the last meeting, who is also a former WMAS member, Richard Prince shared with us how he tries to make the Loveland Living Planet exhibits look like a window to the sea. One technique attempts to cover the square corners of the tank by effective aquascaping. It was an awesome presentation that taught me a lot.

Aloha Hug

Edited by Mark Peterson - April 22 2014 at 8:23am
Reefkeeping Tips, & quick, easy setup tricks:
www.utahreefs.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=9244
Pay it forward - become a paid WMAS member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote justchillinuno Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 22 2014 at 8:30am
55g - RIP - Moved to 90g
36g Bow holding tank
90g Reef Tank
Dreams of many more!
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic