Utah Reefs Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Will it be ok?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author
xlr8r View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote xlr8r Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 24 2014 at 1:12pm
Thank you Mark. Your generosity is kind. I'll keep you posted.
When you hear hoofbeats....Think of a zebra
Dion Richins View Drop Down
Presidency
Presidency

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dion Richins Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 24 2014 at 6:06pm
10k????? I only paid 7K for the peace of mind!!! ;)
Bad "censored" Cabinets
Best quality in the valley! He is one sexy bald guy, even with out a finger!(MAC)
xlr8r View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote xlr8r Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 24 2014 at 6:50pm
Originally posted by Dion Richins Dion Richins wrote:

10k????? I only paid 7K for the peace of mind!!! ;)

Ok. I'll come get 7k from you! : )

I remembered I have a small power inverter I can hook to a spare car battery and run a small power head I have. As it turns out the power company changed their plans due to weather. So it's been delayed.
Mark Peterson View Drop Down
Paid Member
Paid Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark Peterson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 25 2014 at 7:12am
I have looked at this and read of the experiences of hobbyists here since 2002. I believe there would be good reasons to run an air stone bubbler rather than a powerhead.

1. A bubbler moves the water just enough, plus it has the advantage of efficient aeration delivering oxygenated water to the coral and fish and keeping pH from dropping. I might even buy several of these $14 battery powered, automatic switching air pumps that can run up to 48 hours on 2 "D" batteries: http://www.thatpetplace.com/silent-air-b11-aquarium-air-pump-battery-operated

2. My next choice would be to use my DC->AC inverter, but there are problems when running some powerheads on the Square Wave output from an inverter. Some won't even work on that output. I would either have to find the right powerhead or get an inverter that produces normal Sine Wave output.

3. I don't have much money for things like this so my last choice would be to get a portable generator like this one for $469: http://www.homedepot.com/p/Champion-Power-Equipment-3-500-4-000-Watt-Remote-Electric-Start-Gasoline-Powered-Portable-Generator-46565/203589538?N=5yc1vZbx9nZ1z0z74f

Hope this helps,
Aloha Hug

Edited by Mark Peterson - April 25 2014 at 7:31am
Reefkeeping Tips, & quick, easy setup tricks:
www.utahreefs.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=9244
Pay it forward - become a paid WMAS member
xlr8r View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote xlr8r Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 25 2014 at 10:38am
I see your point on using a power inverter. I have a friend who gave me a battery powered air pump. But I like the one you linked to. So far the power company hasn't done any work so I may have some time this weekend to come up with a good plan. I can't afford a generator. Although that would be nice. I'm probably one of the poorest ($) reefers out there.

Edited by xlr8r - April 25 2014 at 10:42am
jwoo View Drop Down
Presidency
Presidency

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jwoo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 25 2014 at 11:09am
I agree with Mark. Get the bubbler it's going to be better and cheaper for short term power outages imo.
None at the moment
Soon: 72 Gallon Bowfront
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
  Share Topic