Utah Reefs Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Adding new rock

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
LakeCityReefs View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LakeCityReefs Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Adding new rock
    Posted: April 27 2014 at 9:08pm
I have a question about adding rock to my syatem.
I recently upgraded from a 55 to a 90 gallon tank. I am running a 20 gallon sump/refugium.
The setup has all live rock at this time. I just picked up 12 lbs of dry rock to add some height to my current rock work.
A few months ago I added 3 lbs of the same rock to my smaller system with no problems.
Will I be OK to just rinse and add 12 lbs of this rock to my new system? Will a large quantity of new dry rock cause any Ill effects?
aceofspadeskb View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote aceofspadeskb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 28 2014 at 8:35am
Adding dry rock is just fine.  Enjoy the upgrade!
Bryce View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bryce Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 28 2014 at 10:00am
I think it depends on the rock, if it was pulled from the ocean and then dried (like BRS Pukani) then it is going to have dead organic material on it that could cause issues if added in a large enough quantity, if it was mined from the earth (such as BRS reef saver) it will typically have less organic material on it. I have dealt with both and if its just a small amount of rock, say a few pounds, I added it directly after rinsing well in RO/DI. When I added larger amounts of the ocean pulled rock I used the water I pulled out of my display each week during water changes to cure the rock in a bucket with a powerhead and I can tell you for the 1st 3 weeks the water I emptied and replaced out of that bucket was nasty, smelly, & yellow, and I am glad I didn't risk just throwing it in my tank...could it have been ok? Sure, maybe, but unless you have a good reason to be in a hurry, depending on the rock I would cure it a few weeks in your water change water, which both "cleans" the rock and seeds it with bacteria. 

Edited by Bryce - April 28 2014 at 11:07am
65g Reef
LakeCityReefs View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LakeCityReefs Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 28 2014 at 11:42am
Ok thanks for the replies. It looks just like the dry Marco rock. I purchased it from Benepets. I added 2 lbs to my sump yesterday and intend to check my levels tonight after work. If everytHong checks out than I will add the 10 lb rock formation to the display.

Another question-
Is there a way to speed the coloratione of this rock? All of the rock in my display is covered with Coraline. I think it's going to look odd having this white rock sitting in top of purple rock.
LaRue View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LaRue Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 28 2014 at 12:49pm
You can scrape coralline of the other rocks and glass and seed it on the new rock
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic