Utah Reefs Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

ID these polyps please?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
SkylerS View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SkylerS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: ID these polyps please?
    Posted: April 29 2014 at 4:50pm
I got these on a piece of LR a while back.  They got overgrown with algae and a bunch died, but it's now been cleared up.  And my coral beauty like to pick on them sometimes.  I don't know what they are and hence, I don't know how to really care for them/make them perk up.  Anyone have an idea of what they are?  I'm referring to the red polyps on the left of the photo. 

Edited by SkylerS - April 29 2014 at 4:55pm
LakeCityReefs View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LakeCityReefs Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 29 2014 at 4:53pm
They look like a common green button polyp. I've had them before. They are pretty cool looking and spread fairly quick. You really shouldn't have to do anything special to care for them. They will catch food outo of the water column. The ones I had ate pretty good every time I fed my fish.
SkylerS View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SkylerS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 29 2014 at 5:03pm
The red polyps.  On the left of the photo.  It's not the best photo i know.

Edited by SkylerS - April 29 2014 at 5:03pm
SkylerS View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SkylerS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 29 2014 at 5:11pm

I guess to call them polyps is a misnomer.  They are a stony coral of some kind.  The red things, in the middle.
boysty View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote boysty Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 29 2014 at 6:12pm
Looks kinda like ivory coral
Time waits on no one
SkylerS View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SkylerS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 01 2014 at 6:36pm

A better closeup.
ReefdUp View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote ReefdUp Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 01 2014 at 6:43pm
Was it Florida live rock? If so, it's Occulina. If not, it's Cladocora.
www.reefdup.com
Diving since 2009, reefkeeping since 2007, & fishkeeping since 1987
200g, 75g, & 15g Systems
PADI Advanced Open Water
SkylerS View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SkylerS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 01 2014 at 6:51pm
THANKS!  I'm not sure where the rock came from, it was in the tank when I got it.  Now I know what it is, I can research and get it growing better.
ReefdUp View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ReefdUp Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 01 2014 at 6:59pm
Some species are nonphotosynthetic, so regular feedings may be critical.
www.reefdup.com
200g, 75g, & 15g Systems
PADI Advanced Open Water
SkylerS View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SkylerS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 01 2014 at 7:05pm
Well, I need to get them to open up first. They were overgrown with algae for some time. But they've been free for a couple weeks and everything else looks and is doing great. I'll see what I can find in their size and try and entice them to eat. I really appreciate the ID.
ReefdUp View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote ReefdUp Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 01 2014 at 9:38pm
www.reefdup.com
200g, 75g, & 15g Systems
PADI Advanced Open Water
SkylerS View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SkylerS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 01 2014 at 10:11pm
Wow. Reef, you are a genius. My LEDs are on a controller and were off but I powered up the actinics just a bit and sure enough that coral gas faint but noticeable tentacle expansion. I'm thawing a seafood slurry now! You deserve a medal, and a high five parade.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic