Utah Reefs Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Stains On Glass. . . Needs Help

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
ThatGuy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ThatGuy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Stains On Glass. . . Needs Help
    Posted: May 01 2014 at 2:49pm
Hello All,
     I have a friend that got a hold of a tank and when we drained and moved it we noticed it has heavy staining on the sides and a little on the front (hard water, lime scale, mineral deposits. . . who knows) and I am wondering if anyone has any ideas on how to remove it. We have tried a number of different things including Vinegar baths, Lime away, CLR, Amaze, some German stuff. . . . And unfortunately I am afraid he might be stuck
If anyone has any ideas, products or methods we could try before we abandon this, Please let me know as this is quite frustrating.
Beer Thank you in advance

Someone stop me! Please! But... Not just yet... Maybe next week... Or the week after...

And here I thought children were expensive. . . . .
bstuver View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bstuver Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 01 2014 at 2:51pm
Is it a haze that you can't see through or like a rainbow like haze that you can see through?
Jackie Stuver

"wait these aren't the happy Hawaiians oompa doompa godly heaven on your face zoas?   I dont want them then. lol!" Ksmart
ThatGuy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ThatGuy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 01 2014 at 2:53pm
Has a milky like film. Like if the sprinklers hit your house window and baked in the sun
Someone stop me! Please! But... Not just yet... Maybe next week... Or the week after...

bstuver View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bstuver Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 01 2014 at 2:55pm
Hmm I assume you tried using a razor blade on it
Jackie Stuver

"wait these aren't the happy Hawaiians oompa doompa godly heaven on your face zoas?   I dont want them then. lol!" Ksmart
Softplan View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Softplan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 01 2014 at 3:00pm
After using limeaway, CLR, and a few of those other products I would be very nervous to use it as an aquarium.  If you don't get it all out you could have issues.

Better to post this kind of thing in General help or other topics not in classifieds.
ThatGuy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ThatGuy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 01 2014 at 3:06pm
Oh, you know what, my apologize, You are absolutely right about it should be on General Topics.
My bad Embarrassed
Those products were used in a small area, to test if it would even come off.
Tried razors with no prevail
If you want me to delete this and put it elsewhere I will.

lskurys View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lskurys Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 01 2014 at 3:21pm
I moved it over for you.  If the tank is not set up yet I would try vinegar and let it soak for a few hours.  then use a scraper.   If this was set up as a salt water tank vinegar will take care of most of the problems.    
220g , large elite aquatics sump. 3 Radion Pro Gen 3 lights 3 Mp 40's
ThatGuy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ThatGuy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 01 2014 at 4:04pm
We did, and it didnt dent it Cry

bstuver View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bstuver Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 01 2014 at 4:08pm
I would guess with everything you've tried that it's etched into the glass and you won't be able to remove it
Jackie Stuver

lskurys View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lskurys Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 01 2014 at 4:09pm
Originally posted by ThatGuy ThatGuy wrote:

We did, and it didnt dent it Cry

Well does it seem like a build up or is it etched in to the glass?  In a few cases I have seen people use stainless steel polish and steel wool to buff out some imperfections.  With out seeing the glass I am not sure what else to try.  
ThatGuy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ThatGuy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 01 2014 at 4:27pm

ThatGuy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ThatGuy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 01 2014 at 4:33pm

As you can see where the power head sat, it is fine with no Stains/Etches

ThatGuy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ThatGuy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 01 2014 at 4:34pm
That was the worst side

lskurys View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lskurys Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 01 2014 at 4:37pm
It looks alto like Calcium build up.  If you have some Kaboom around try spraying it next to were the pump was.  If it starts to foam up you will know it is eating the calcium and it might take several soaking to get it clean.  If not look on close on the inside and see if the glass is pitted.  If it is pitted that is not a lot that can be done.  
ThatGuy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ThatGuy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 01 2014 at 4:55pm
We will try that and let you know
Thank you everyone

XNET Geek View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote XNET Geek Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 01 2014 at 8:37pm
I would then neutralize that with vinegar, it's a heck of a lot safer for the fish/livestock.  I personally never use chemicals if I can help it. 
180 Gallon - Mixed Reef/Fish
90 Gallon - Mixed Reef/Fish
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic