Utah Reefs Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

pink "stuff" attacking my candy canes

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
bmac2 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bmac2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: pink "stuff" attacking my candy canes
    Posted: May 07 2014 at 7:59pm
My wife got a couple of pics of something that looks like  sponge, or more like bubble gum that is attaching itself to the bottom of the big softball sized head of candy canes.  It seems to be causing them to retract and maybe die.   couple of quesitons, one, what the heck is it, and 2, what is the effecitve way to get it off my candy canes????

Mac

Aquarium Creations 300 gallon tank
Stand by Dion
ReefdUp View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ReefdUp Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 07 2014 at 8:19pm
Likely an invasive species of sponge. Some will die out of air, but others have a calcium 'skeleton' that you may be able to squirt vinegar on to dissolve it. Otherwise, superglue sometimes works.
www.reefdup.com
Diving since 2009, reefkeeping since 2007, & fishkeeping since 1987
200g, 75g, & 15g Systems
PADI Advanced Open Water
bmac2 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bmac2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 07 2014 at 10:52pm
Was just at Rusty's house and he said sponge also.  He said a hydrogen peroxide dip of hte coral usually the bubbles kills the sponge off of it.  Too bad it isn't growing on a rock, it is a cool color of pink!!
Stand by Dion
Lewy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lewy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 09 2014 at 5:47pm
scrape some off and place it where it will work for you then kill the rest.
40 gal w/ 20 sump
ReefdUp View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ReefdUp Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 10 2014 at 5:32pm
I dip all of my non-SPS corals in a hydrogen peroxide dip, and it doesn't always kill off sponges. If it actually is an invasive sponge, many of them release chemicals to kill off corals, or they grow faster and overtake the corals. I wouldn't recommend trying to spread it around your tank.
www.reefdup.com
Diving since 2009, reefkeeping since 2007, & fishkeeping since 1987
200g, 75g, & 15g Systems
PADI Advanced Open Water
Mark Peterson View Drop Down
Paid Member
Paid Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark Peterson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 16 2014 at 7:50am
Aloha Barry,

Update?
Is the Sponge removed or did you leave it?
I just realized that the color of your sponge looks very similar to a Sponge growing on the base of a Trachophyllia in my system. This is a coral I rescued but it hasn't grown much. This coral survived multiple catastrophes over the last 10 months but I'm wondering if its slow growth is due to the Sponge?
Has or did the pink Sponge cause any problems in your tank? I would be curious to know.

Mahalo,
Mark Hug
Reefkeeping Tips, & quick, easy setup tricks:
www.utahreefs.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=9244
Pay it forward - become a paid WMAS member
bmac2 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bmac2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 17 2014 at 10:50am
I haven't removed it yet, but I am about to.  The candy canes are starting to die on the bottom where it is at.  going to try some of the suggestions above and dip the thing.
Stand by Dion
Mark Peterson View Drop Down
Paid Member
Paid Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark Peterson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 17 2014 at 11:45am
Thanks for the reply.
Maybe in removing the sponge, I'll break this Trach apart, because it had split into four anyway.

Aloha Hug
Reefkeeping Tips, & quick, easy setup tricks:
www.utahreefs.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=9244
Pay it forward - become a paid WMAS member
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic