Utah Reefs Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

10g nano build

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
aporter360 View Drop Down
Presidency
Presidency

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote aporter360 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: 10g nano build
    Posted: May 11 2014 at 7:20pm
So im thinking of building a cute 10g nano fish only tank for my girlfriend. she has ber own fish in my tank, but i thought it would be cute to set up a small 10g nano tank on the counter of her appt. It would simple be a 10g tank, with a 20g topfin hang on filter and 50w heater on one end. it would have a spare led fixture that i have that would sit on the ends of the tank and light it up quite nicely. gonna have a sand bottom and a centerpiece rock that the fish could hide in but could swim around the entire tank, so itl be in the middle of the tank. planning on only stocking it with a pair of clownfish to make maintnence easy, maybe a bicolor blenny to eat the algae too. also would be nice to grow macroalgae to keep the algae growth down... how does this setup sound? any advice or info on long term keeping of this type of tank. and it will have NO corals.. dont want them crashing... how would an anemone do with this setup amd with the nutrients and water quality that may happen? also might add a 70gph powerhead to circulate flow in a spiral pattern round the tank..

to do this i would only need a spare 10g tank if anyone has one... and maybe a better piece of rock as the ones i have arent too pretty..   oh and get rid of the rest of my freshwater fish... as the filter is on the fresh tank currently..
this will hopefully reduce te bioload in my coral frag tank as its a small 20 gal system.. may even be able to get rid of all fish in the coral tank and leave her with 2 clarkiii clowns and a lawnmower blenny... should improve water quality and help the corals grow more
ideas suggestions, everything helps!!! thanks for all your support
Mark Peterson View Drop Down
Paid Member
Paid Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark Peterson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 12 2014 at 9:22am
Aloha Andrew,

Sounds awesome. I've done dozens of these. I have just the right rock for these tanks. I also have spare 10 gal tanks and specialty tanks. I have a 4 gal hex that would look great on a counter top. I wouldn't worry about an external filter. The tank will not need it and will look better without it. Coral and algae filter the water and water changes keep Alk, Ca etc. at good levels and problem free. I can't fathom any marine tank without coral. Sure, I have seen hundreds of tanks without coral, but they didn't know what they were missing both in filtration and beauty. Even predatory fish tanks can keep some types of coral. You know where I live. See ya again soon. Hug
Reefkeeping Tips, & quick, easy setup tricks:
www.utahreefs.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=9244
Pay it forward - become a paid WMAS member
aporter360 View Drop Down
Presidency
Presidency

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote aporter360 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 12 2014 at 12:44pm
sweet, sounds like ill be stopping by soon, im just trying to keep it low maintenece esp with us having to move so much for school.. i wondered if a filter was necessary.. was thinking of it only being necessary for mechanical filtration as the bio would be the ls and lr.. i plan on grabbing some of those pretty fern things you have, and the tank. 10 gal an maybe a piece of lr too.. with a bit of compensation of course.. also i have a few frags of xenia.. might put one in and if i grows it grows.. would look good too covering alot of the tank...
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic