Utah Reefs Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Fish FREAK OUT when i shut off the lights?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
-TYR- View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote -TYR- Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Fish FREAK OUT when i shut off the lights?
    Posted: May 25 2014 at 10:39pm
at night when I shut off my tanks day lights and all I have on is the moonlights it seems the very instant I shut the lights off my purple firefish spazzes out makes 1-2 really fast laps around the tank breaches the water then hides for the night and my perc starts freaking out and like spazming in its anemone just starts convulsing is this just luck of the draw I have weird fish or what ive checked my electrical there is no voltage making it into the water but what could cause this my wrasse and bicolor do just fine and swimm like normal to their perspective beds but the other to spazz out?????
Blub Blub
timmy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote timmy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 26 2014 at 5:41am
my blue tang used to do that when i had my old lights.  As soon as the timer hit and they shut off it would swim as fast as it could and hide in the back of my tank in my rocks.
Tim
DLindquist View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DLindquist Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 26 2014 at 7:24am
What type of light set up are you running? Is it possible to shut down your lights in stages rather than everything off at one time? If you think about a fishes natural environment, lights out is a slow sunset not instant darkness. While your fish may become accustomed to your current lighting schedule over time, it would be best to replicate something more like a natural sunset (and sunrise for that matter).
A government strong enough to give you everything you want, is powerful enough to take everything you have.

Hogie View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hogie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 26 2014 at 10:16am
My nephews do the same thing when the lights go out...
builderofdreams View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote builderofdreams Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 26 2014 at 10:46am
Originally posted by DLindquist DLindquist wrote:

What type of light set up are you running? Is it possible to shut down your lights in stages rather than everything off at one time? If you think about a fishes natural environment, lights out is a slow sunset not instant darkness. While your fish may become accustomed to your current lighting schedule over time, it would be best to replicate something more like a natural sunset (and sunrise for that matter).
Thumbs Up Agree with Dave. Might try "First In First Out".
It's Not a Hobby It's an Obsession
150&210 Gallons of Madness and. Sanity! 801-850-4915

http://www.utahreefs.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=65135&title=builderofdreams-feedback-post
Mark Peterson View Drop Down
Paid Member
Paid Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark Peterson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 26 2014 at 12:01pm
Aloha Lasse,

I have noticed that this happens in tanks in dark rooms where indirect sunlight does not reach the tank. It gets even worse when the lights are turned on and off manually but not at the exact same time every day. A timer can really help in this situation, as well as turning actinic/blue tubes ON first and OFF last.

If I remember correctly, this tank does not have the convenience of having the two PC's independent of each other, but they each have their own ballast so the wiring could be changed to make them independent. I'd be happy to help change the wiring. Let me know.

Mark Hug
Reefkeeping Tips, & quick, easy setup tricks:
www.utahreefs.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=9244
Pay it forward - become a paid WMAS member
badfinger View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote badfinger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 26 2014 at 12:30pm
Maybe read them a happy bedtime story?
DLindquist View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DLindquist Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 26 2014 at 1:19pm
Originally posted by badfinger badfinger wrote:

Maybe read them a happy bedtime story?

And fluff their pillow before tucking them in.
A government strong enough to give you everything you want, is powerful enough to take everything you have.

Paid Member
Paid Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark Peterson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 26 2014 at 1:29pm
Sounds like another good Reefkeeping Tip Wacko
timmy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote timmy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 26 2014 at 2:48pm
i was using a fluval reef light but recently switched to AI hydra 52's and they come on super slow and turn off super slow as well.  I believe you can adjust 7 different colors with 100 different intensities from 1-100% on.
Tim
-TYR- View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote -TYR- Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 26 2014 at 3:21pm
I do turn my actinic lights on first then an hour later the day lights they go on the same time every day and off the same time every night I turn them off day lights first then actinic second I have the days on for 10 hours a day and the actinic for 12 on at 0900 of at 2100

They are 15k day light and 8k actinics with an LED moonlight
Blub Blub
Paid Member
Paid Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark Peterson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 27 2014 at 8:34am
Sounds good. Some fish are just more skittish than others.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic