Utah Reefs Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

New to Utah Reef

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Mrfixer3166 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mrfixer3166 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: New to Utah Reef
    Posted: May 29 2014 at 1:43am
Hello My name is Mitchell Pierce, I live in Kearns. I have been a freshwater aquarium enthusiast for 32 years and have always wanted a saltwater reef aquarium. I finally got one. I bought a used 24 gallon nanocube and already looking for a larger tank. I have my RO water system in place and i use a self made vodka dosing filter and refugium that seems to be working well in my nano. All my perimeters are perfect since i got my tank 4 months ago.  Can anyone give me some advise on a good size tank? I have always wanted a 120 gallon freshwater but i think im gonna do a saltwater reef one instead. I have 2 places i can put one. I want either a corner or squarish tank. I really want to buy a used one that i can get for a deal with stand because of funds, but not afraid to spend money. So if you know of any tanks for sale please let me know. I want to use all live rock and live sand bed. Im gonna try to make my own skimmer and refugium. i do need to ask what size refugium size should i get or does that depend on the size of my cabinet?
Confused 
 So my questions are:
What size tank is good?
What size refugium is common for tank? i know tank size determines that. but is there a set calculation?
Whats better a deep sand bed or shallow bed and how many inches?
What kind of live rock is best?
What is the benefit in joining the paid membership for this site? I would like to join.

I'm the type of aquarium enthusiast that likes the look of moss and natural things and the life from my live rock just excites me. I cant wait.
I have a 90 gallon freshwater and a couple 10 gallon tanks i use for feeder guppies and brine shrimp and working on a 55 gallon acrylic tube tank. but this saltwater reef has my attention.

i know i will have lots of questions later but for now i think these will get me started. Thank you in advance Mitchell

Mrfixer3166 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mrfixer3166 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 03 2014 at 7:11pm
boy my tank crashed using the vodka dosing system! back to the bacteria dosing.
badfinger View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote badfinger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 03 2014 at 7:47pm
Why are you dosing either? The only way you can dose either is with a very good skimmer
DLindquist View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DLindquist Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 04 2014 at 7:42am
Originally posted by badfinger badfinger wrote:

Why are you dosing either? The only way you can dose either is with a very good skimmer

And even then, why bother?
A government strong enough to give you everything you want, is powerful enough to take everything you have.

Mark Peterson View Drop Down
Paid Member
Paid Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark Peterson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 04 2014 at 8:33am
I posted right after the OP but it's looking weird. Can you see my post above?
Reefkeeping Tips, & quick, easy setup tricks:
www.utahreefs.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=9244
Pay it forward - become a paid WMAS member
jdinchak View Drop Down
Presidency
Presidency

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jdinchak Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 04 2014 at 8:48am
If you are free you should join us tomorrow for our big Fragstock.  It's a great event and is free for paid and guest members. 

Paid members get a 15 minute head start, one of the many paid member perks.  Welcome to the forum, hope to meet you at our meetings (first Thursday of each month).

http://www.utahreefs.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=71236&title=june-5th-600-pm-830-pm-fragstock
180G Mixed Reef Tank

170G Dart Frog Tank
-TYR- View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote -TYR- Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 05 2014 at 1:02pm
WELCOME!!! I hope to see pictures of your little ocean.
Blub Blub
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic