Utah Reefs Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Flame Angel Reef Safe?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
aceofspadeskb View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote aceofspadeskb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Flame Angel Reef Safe?
    Posted: May 29 2014 at 2:17pm
I absolutely love flame angelfish.  I've done a fair amount of research and I understand that it is hit or miss whether or not they will bother corals.  Some seem to think that with the correct diet they will be perfectly reef safe. 

I'd like to know from people who have these fish:
A) Does your flame angel nip at corals?
B) What do you feed it?

Thanks in advance! 
DMower View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DMower Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 29 2014 at 2:39pm
The one i had did nip SPS. Some do nip corals some don't. I fed alot. Mix of different frozen. Pellet. And algae mostly. If you love them. Get one. All i can say. There is a lot more to reef keeping than corals!
150 gal reef with 50 gal sump. Reef Octopus DCS-200 Skimmer. AI Sol Blues.
peiji View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote peiji Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 29 2014 at 2:46pm
I had one for 15 years. Never nipped a thing. Even had it with clams. I don't think I ever had SPS with it though. I mainly just fed it mysis and brine. This was all before I got into a varied diet for my fish. 

Edited by peiji - May 29 2014 at 2:47pm
Jared Page
Highland, UT
Graphic Designer
Mark Peterson View Drop Down
Paid Member
Paid Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark Peterson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 29 2014 at 9:17pm
Good food and training. I've never had a problem with any Centropyge angelfish. They are fast learners.
Aloha Hug
Reefkeeping Tips, & quick, easy setup tricks:
www.utahreefs.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=9244
Pay it forward - become a paid WMAS member
ReefdUp View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ReefdUp Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 30 2014 at 2:55am
I had one with no problem. Fed my homemade frozen mix.
www.reefdup.com
Diving since 2009, reefkeeping since 2007, & fishkeeping since 1987
200g, 75g, & 15g Systems
PADI Advanced Open Water
Dan9554880 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dan9554880 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 30 2014 at 5:53am
I had two & never bother coral. I feed mysis, nls pellets, nori, and flakes.
210 Mixed Reef
20 Nuvo nano reef
Learn your tank, not the hobby
aceofspadeskb View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote aceofspadeskb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 30 2014 at 8:10am
Excellent! Thanks for all the replies. 
Mark Peterson View Drop Down
Paid Member
Paid Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark Peterson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 30 2014 at 9:21am
I recently saw a tank where the hobbyist complained that his Bicolor Angelfish was nipping at coral. I asked what was being fed. Dry pellets was the answer. I urged the hobbyist to stop feeding the pellets. I gave him some Macroalgae and some BSD Enriched Brine Shrimp. Almost immediately, the Bicolor stopped nipping at coral.

Fish have nutritional needs that include algae. They like soft algae growing on surfaces and will nip at bits of Macroalgae. BSD Enriched Brine Shrimp have algae in their guts so when the fish eats the BS it gets the algae. Three other foods are also awesome: freshly caught and frozen Great Salt Lake Brine Shrimp, frozen Emerald Entree and frozen Rod's Food. (Links provided free of charge Wink )

I love collecting BS from the GSL. The season is fast approaching. I will post a Topic when it's time. GSL BS are extremely nutritious. Here is a video by a local freshwater hobbyist: https://youtube.com/watch?v=b0nlANNDmJQ

When algae is missing from the menu, in whatever form, fish can turn to eating coral just to get the Zooxanthellae algae in the coral tissue.

Aloha Hug
Reefkeeping Tips, & quick, easy setup tricks:
www.utahreefs.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=9244
Pay it forward - become a paid WMAS member
love2skiutah View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote love2skiutah Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 30 2014 at 10:39am
I agree with Mark, I think it's about their food.  I don't do the macro algae thing that he does in his displays, but I've found the fish to be much healthier, less aggressive and less likely to nip if they are kept away from the dry foods and fed multiple times though out the day.  I do, however throw in flakes and pellets here and there to get an extra feeding in when I don't have time. 

Also, I've noticed that if your corals are dying or stressed, fish are more likely to nip.  When any of my acros STN, the angels will nip and pick at it.  
Cowan View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cowan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 04 2014 at 1:31pm
I have both a flame angel and a bicolor angel in my tank. They seem to be going well, I don't know what exactly to look for as far as coral being nipped at. I feed twice per day frozen mysis shrimp, I do the pellets with garlic for the chromis and clowns, the angels don't pay any attention to it. Any help I could get to preserve the corals would be greatly appreciated

RSM 250
Adam Blundell View Drop Down
Presidency
Presidency

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Adam Blundell Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 04 2014 at 4:24pm
Reef safe!

Adam
Come to a meeting, they’re fun!
reefnfeef View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote reefnfeef Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 04 2014 at 4:48pm
@cowan provide the angels with algae
aaaaaaaaaaaaaannd.... I'm broke
Cowan View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cowan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 04 2014 at 8:14pm
@reefnfeef is there any specific kind you would recommend?

RSM 250
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic