Utah Reefs Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

clown attacking clown

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Reefboy4life View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Reefboy4life Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: clown attacking clown
    Posted: June 17 2014 at 10:13pm
now i have another problem, my bigger black clown fish is chasing my black onyx around the tank relentlessly and bitting her, at first they were fine with each other but now this, i think it might have to do with the anemone, should i separate the two or will this stop, they are doing this little shaking thing every now and then to each other but im afraid he might kill her, what should i do?
90 gallon mixed reef
-TYR- View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote -TYR- Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 17 2014 at 10:35pm
If I remember correctly the female will claim the anemone first and chase the male off of it until he can appease her? Then they should calm down after a while and she will either let him move in or he will establish himself somewhere else in the tank, but I could be mistaken or have male/female roles reversed.
Blub Blub
LakeCityReefs View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LakeCityReefs Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 17 2014 at 10:36pm
I'm no expert but it sounds like they are displaying dominance. If it's a large female and a small male then they will work it out. If it's 2 large females then I hope your tank is big enough for them to each have their own area.
Just my 2 cents.
wickedsnowman View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wickedsnowman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 17 2014 at 10:49pm
Even if it were 2 large females the smaller one will turn male.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Reefboy4life Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 17 2014 at 11:52pm
My black clown is larger than my onyx clown, I just assumed the onyx was female.
90 gallon mixed reef

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Reefboy4life Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 17 2014 at 11:53pm
So should I let them be, the tank is only 8 gallons?
90 gallon mixed reef
jason View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jason Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 18 2014 at 12:08am
All clowns start out as male and the bigest most dominate one changes to female (clowns will not change from female to male) (other saltwater fish mostly deep water ones will change back and forth) some clowns just dont get along sometimes 2females will get along and even lay eggs. Most of the time not. Setimes clowns.just dont pair up jist lile little people they are not compatible catch the smaller one put it into a net breeder and watch them for a.week or so then try turning it loose and.watch thebiger one will kill the smaller one Iit sounds like to me 801_427-0939 call me any time I have a good idea what goes on with clowns
if wishes were fishes we would all have some
Mike Savage View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mike Savage Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 18 2014 at 6:04am
I agree with Jason. I tried two small (one to one and a quarter inch) Ocellaris clownfish in my 8 gallon and one chased the other constantly. I moved them to my 25 gallon and they get along great. Maybe they just need a little more room than that tank can give them.

Mark Peterson View Drop Down
Paid Member
Paid Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark Peterson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 18 2014 at 9:24am
Commented on this in your other post.

Providing more room is one way to do it. Making more hiding places and a different looking environment can also calm them down. We often speak of how to avoid territorial aggressiveness. Putting fish in the tank at the same time is one way. Changing around all the aquascaping in an existing tank is another. Adding a stand of Macroalgae also works. Unfortunately, none of this will have much effect on this mating dance.

Aloha Hug
Reefkeeping Tips, & quick, easy setup tricks:
www.utahreefs.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=9244
Pay it forward - become a paid WMAS member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Reefboy4life Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 18 2014 at 5:34pm
alright thanks, ill keep a close eye on them, the female claimed the anemone and things have calmed down a bit.
90 gallon mixed reef
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic