Utah Reefs Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Coral Growth

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Qdenter View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Qdenter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Coral Growth
    Posted: June 22 2014 at 3:44pm
What do you do to help you zoanthids grow quick? 
LakeCityReefs View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LakeCityReefs Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 22 2014 at 3:58pm
In my experience cheap polyps grow quickly.
Reverse space monsters started with 8 polyps now have 40 6 months later.
Fire & Ice started with 10 polyps now have 20 polyps 4 months later.
Blue Steel started with 2 polyps have 8 polyps 2 months later.
Rasta started with 2 polyps have 7 polyps 5 months later.

Find a spot in the tank that they like (light & flow) and leave them alone. In my experience they will stay open longer and color better if they are in the right spot. The skirts on mine grow longer if they are in a higher flow area but not all types like the high flow.

I use Seachem fuel 1/3-1/2 dose 1-2 times a week. I use Benepets reef food 1/2 dose every other day.
When Zoanthids.Com gave their presentation at the WMAS meeting I believe he said that zoas preferred water that was a little more dirty and that iodide helped their health.

Just my experience thus far. Ive been in the hobby almost 7 months now.

Edited by LakeCityReefs - June 22 2014 at 4:02pm
Reefer4Ever View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Reefer4Ever Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 22 2014 at 3:59pm
You can feed them directly, shut down your pumps to ensure the polyps get a good chance to eat and remember that it will generally cause an additional biobload on the system as more food is used. My biggest rule of thumb is "nothing good happens fast with reef tanks." Just my personal thoughts.

Good luck and keep us posted how it goes.
Mark Peterson View Drop Down
Paid Member
Paid Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark Peterson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 22 2014 at 4:43pm
Brandon Hill from Zooanthids.com in Orem also told us about a secret ingredient at the meeting but it's not really a secret, because it's a product available to us all. Brandon has been profiting from growing Zooanthids for almost 15 years. I would suggest paying him a visit. See the Local Fish Stores tab over to the left.

Aloha Hug
Reefkeeping Tips, & quick, easy setup tricks:
www.utahreefs.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=9244
Pay it forward - become a paid WMAS member
Qdenter View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Qdenter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 24 2014 at 9:40pm
thank you all for your comments, they were very helpful! 
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic