Utah Reefs Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

leak test fail!

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
-TYR- View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote -TYR- Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: leak test fail!
    Posted: July 03 2014 at 2:26pm
So I finished all but installing my return pump which shows up on Tuesday, and decided well lets close these ball valves and see if it holds water and TADA leaking! I found one of the 2 leaks but cannot for the life of me figure out where the other is coming from! How are some of the ways you guys hunt down leaks?
Blub Blub
ctreeftank View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ctreeftank Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 03 2014 at 2:53pm
Do you have any unio joints on the setup?
Fatman View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fatman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 03 2014 at 5:59pm
Well, what do you have that's leaking, the tank or the plumbing? Are the leaks coming from the bulkhead (where the glass and bulkhead join)? That's where I've had the most problem. Are you using PVC and what solvent cement or what type of piping?

If I have a leak usually it's pretty obvious, but for the those I can't readily locate I put some of the blue shop paper towels under the joints. Just touch it under the joint then pull it off an look. They become readily apparent on that blue towel.

Fat
February 4: Winter Banquet at the Living Planet Aquarium
Tickets: http://utahreefs.com/store/index.php?route=product/category&path=36
-TYR- View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote -TYR- Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 03 2014 at 9:08pm
one leak is pretty evident and I think I can figure out how to repair it without tearing apart my whole plumbing the other is leaking into the plumbing and dripping out of it so I think its inside the tank the only part that isn't glued is the pipe going into the bulkhead so I think that might be the place but if its inside the tank and leaking into the overflow pipe is it going to be something I have to worry about?
Blub Blub
Matt View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Matt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 03 2014 at 11:02pm
That shouldn't matter. My guess is sounds like possibly your bulkhead is leaking.
Matt Savage

"Tattoos and Street Bikes"
wickedsnowman View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wickedsnowman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 04 2014 at 7:54am
Yeah over flow pipes don't really need to be water tight. In fact it is good to leave them that way in case you ever need to drain your over flow. Like if a fish gets stuck in there. However where it is leaking after that obviously you will need to repair.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic