Utah Reefs Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

long tentacle fungia HELP

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Cowan View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cowan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: long tentacle fungia HELP
    Posted: July 18 2014 at 8:13am
Noticed that my long tentacle fungia looked funny this morning during feeding. Should I be concerned ?
RSM 250
Mark Peterson View Drop Down
Paid Member
Paid Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark Peterson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 18 2014 at 10:57am
What was being fed?
Kinda looks like it captured some food and is closing around it directing the food into it's mouth.
The mushrooms(?) on the rock in the background, also look like they are feeding.

Otherwise, what are the Alk and Ca levels? Between 8-14 dKH and 350-500 ppm?

If this isn't it, a full tank pic would be helpful.

Aloha Hug
bstuver View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bstuver Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 18 2014 at 11:01am
Mine has weird shapes all the time, I would say with it all puffed like that it's just fine.
Jackie Stuver

"wait these aren't the happy Hawaiians oompa doompa godly heaven on your face zoas?   I dont want them then. lol!" Ksmart
Cowan View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cowan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 18 2014 at 12:37pm
Calcium was 400 last time I checked, all was 9.5. I dosed both a little. I don't have a full tank pic from today. The background coral are lobos
RSM 250
Mark Peterson View Drop Down
Paid Member
Paid Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark Peterson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 19 2014 at 5:14am
Lobos, ahh yes. Smile How silly that I didn't recognize them.  Alk and Ca are within range. I concur with Jackie. Let us know if anything changes.

I have often considered that the periodic hydration/expansion and dehydration/shrinking of coral is one method they use to take in food as dissolved organics and to subsequently expel waste organic molecules.

Aloha Hug
faviasteve View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote faviasteve Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 10 2014 at 11:50am
I have seen fungia (short tentacle) puff up with water after eating a big meal and then expel waste as the inner water is expelled, like Mark said.  I think it also helps them move slowly as they inflate/deflate.  With long tentacles, the skeleton is very sharp and tissue is softer than short tentacles.  The biggest danger is that they get bumped or fall or something falls on them and cuts the tissue.  Once an infection starts in them, they are done for because they're only a single polyp.
Steve Burton

Logan, Utah
catchoftheday View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote catchoftheday Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 11 2014 at 3:03pm
IT DOES LOOK LIKE ITS FEEDING 
I currently have a 24 gallon JBJ all in one tank has two powerheads a phosphate reactor with the small bubble skimmer it is also powered by 2 X165 W LEDs and as a mixed reef
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic