Utah Reefs Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Fish are dying

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author
tileman View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tileman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 20 2014 at 12:09pm
Hang in there. Better days are ahead.

335G Reef
TOTM.
http://www.advancedaquarist.com/2015/2/aquarium
ReefKeepers TOTM Feb. 2012
http://reefkeeping.com/joomla/index....k-of-the-month

&
jdinchak View Drop Down
Presidency
Presidency

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jdinchak Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 20 2014 at 12:23pm
Lost the healthier looking fat flame angel but the almost zombie like sailfin and clown are still strong. Wrasses and gobies look great. Thx for support. I guess a horrible rite of passage.
180G Mixed Reef Tank

170G Dart Frog Tank
Dion Richins View Drop Down
Presidency
Presidency

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dion Richins Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 21 2014 at 3:30pm
Dude this sucks. Just read through it :(
Bad "censored" Cabinets
Best quality in the valley! He is one sexy bald guy, even with out a finger!(MAC)
jdinchak View Drop Down
Presidency
Presidency

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jdinchak Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 21 2014 at 6:36pm
Good news is no more deaths. Been doing freshwater dips everyday. The two sickest are are still alive.
180G Mixed Reef Tank

170G Dart Frog Tank
ReefdUp View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ReefdUp Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 21 2014 at 9:18pm
Yaaaaay! Did you end up running an antibiotic as well?
www.reefdup.com
Diving since 2009, reefkeeping since 2007, & fishkeeping since 1987
200g, 75g, & 15g Systems
PADI Advanced Open Water
jdinchak View Drop Down
Presidency
Presidency

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jdinchak Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 21 2014 at 9:21pm
I don't have one. Didn't have a chance to look. Bacot just said sailfin ate frozen today with garlic (he was worst) so that is a good sign. Do the LFS have the antibiotics?

Edited by jdinchak - July 21 2014 at 9:22pm
180G Mixed Reef Tank

170G Dart Frog Tank
ReefdUp View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ReefdUp Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 21 2014 at 9:23pm
Most should have Furan2...which is what I'd recommend. If they are healing up ok, then you might be in the clear. Uronema can leave some nasty wounds that get infected, so I try to err on the side of caution.
www.reefdup.com
200g, 75g, & 15g Systems
PADI Advanced Open Water
Carlsson View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Carlsson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 22 2014 at 7:26am
I have Furan-2 at home (Murray) if you still need some. I also have Prazipro and Cupramine as well.

Patrik

901-485-5782
jdinchak View Drop Down
Presidency
Presidency

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jdinchak Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 26 2014 at 6:21pm
Thanks Carlsson, I was on biz travel last week and not able to pick up. We lost two more for a total of 7. The rest seem better.

I got some furan 2 but not sure if I should add to QT tank or just dip them with it? Thanks.
180G Mixed Reef Tank

170G Dart Frog Tank
DMower View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DMower Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 26 2014 at 6:23pm
Furan two needs longer than a dip to be effective. Must qt   
150 gal reef with 50 gal sump. Reef Octopus DCS-200 Skimmer. AI Sol Blues.
ReefdUp View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ReefdUp Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 26 2014 at 8:01pm
Furan 2 takes nearly a week. It is only used as a dip for zoa-pox.
www.reefdup.com
200g, 75g, & 15g Systems
PADI Advanced Open Water
jdinchak View Drop Down
Presidency
Presidency

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jdinchak Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 28 2014 at 9:36pm
Well after adding the Furan 2 following the instructions all remaining fish in qt are dead. They looked pretty bad. I had extra aeration in there and fed as much as I could be they weren't eating. The funny thing is before the furan2 they were all swimming and active. My wife believes it killed the fish. Hoping for some more background. Did it speed it up? Did it actually kill them? Was it always inevitable and they couldn't handle the treatment?

We are going to wait another 6-10 weeks before adding fish to the main tank. Will hook up a UV. Scary knowing this could still be in there. Other fish in tank look great and show no signs.

Thanks Rusty and Nikki, you guys were big helps. Really bummed out but thruthfully kinda glad it's over. :(
180G Mixed Reef Tank

170G Dart Frog Tank
ReefdUp View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote ReefdUp Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 29 2014 at 2:56am
Whoa...I'm so sorry.

Furan2 is just an antibiotic. I doubt all of them were allergic, and I've never heard of it causing death. I did a quick search and can't find anything either. What is the expiration date? What was your ammonia level? What were you doing to control ammonia in your qt? Did you have other medications in there? How big was your qt? How long after the meds did they die?

Again, I'm terribly sorry. That's really sad and frustrating.
www.reefdup.com
200g, 75g, & 15g Systems
PADI Advanced Open Water
Mark Peterson View Drop Down
Paid Member
Paid Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Mark Peterson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 29 2014 at 6:51am
So sorry for your loss.
Reefkeeping Tips, & quick, easy setup tricks:
www.utahreefs.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=9244
Pay it forward - become a paid WMAS member
jdinchak View Drop Down
Presidency
Presidency

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jdinchak Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 29 2014 at 11:21am
Originally posted by ReefdUp ReefdUp wrote:

Whoa...I'm so sorry.

Furan2 is just an antibiotic. I doubt all of them were allergic, and I've never heard of it causing death. I did a quick search and can't find anything either. What is the expiration date? What was your ammonia level? What were you doing to control ammonia in your qt? Did you have other medications in there? How big was your qt? How long after the meds did they die?

Again, I'm terribly sorry. That's really sad and frustrating.

My wife and I were tag teaming it so I don't have that information in front of me.  We were doing frequent water changes before the Furan. It was a 30gal tank a friend loaned us, it probably had too heavy of a bioload for the size but I didn't have any other options at the time. 

No other meds.  The remaining 4 went within the first two days of dosing (we were on WC 1 and dose 3 when I checked and they died).
180G Mixed Reef Tank

170G Dart Frog Tank
jdinchak View Drop Down
Presidency
Presidency

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jdinchak Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 29 2014 at 12:01pm
Originally posted by Adam Blundell Adam Blundell wrote:

My thoughts... unfortunately many of the fish are toast.  I think you can do the massive catch and QT, but I think the vast majority of people would try to wait it out.

Adam

This totally made sense after going through the process.  Very much a learning curve.  Spent probably 20-30 hours between the two of us working to save the fish and with the negative outcome I can see where I could have saved the time and heartbreak but just letting it be.  Glad I fought for the fish and really appreciated the advice, just reading this again I definitely get where Adam was coming from. 

Will be doing more research when we restart, will have a QT system setup (I don't think this is what caused the issue but I am going to be more diligent) and will introduce fish with a freshwater dip (after seeing it didn't harm them, always freaked me out though) when purchasing. 

Again everyone thanks for the help. 
180G Mixed Reef Tank

170G Dart Frog Tank
Mark Peterson View Drop Down
Paid Member
Paid Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark Peterson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 29 2014 at 3:35pm
Originally posted by jdinchak jdinchak wrote:

...We had some issues with our pump and it took a few days to get fixed so I thought the changes stressed him out and he died.... When we first got the pump back on we noticed a lot of debris came out of the piping, we did a water change, added fresh carbon and even bought filter socks to try to help that out....
I for one would really appreciate anything you could share with us regarding how this happened and what to prepare to avoid it. Maybe make it a post in this Reefkeeping Tips thread where many others shared their sad tales:
Reefkeeping Tips, & quick, easy setup tricks:
www.utahreefs.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=9244
Pay it forward - become a paid WMAS member
Adam Blundell View Drop Down
Presidency
Presidency

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Adam Blundell Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 29 2014 at 6:05pm

Originally posted by Adam Blundell Adam Blundell wrote:

My thoughts... unfortunately many of the fish are toast.  I think you can do the massive catch and QT, but I think the vast majority of people would try to wait it out.

Adam

This totally made sense after going through the process.  Very much a learning curve.  Spent probably 20-30 hours between the two of us working to save the fish and with the negative outcome I can see where I could have saved the time and heartbreak but just letting it be.  Glad I fought for the fish and really appreciated the advice, just reading this again I definitely get where Adam was coming from. 

Will be doing more research when we restart, will have a QT system setup (I don't think this is what caused the issue but I am going to be more diligent) and will introduce fish with a freshwater dip (after seeing it didn't harm them, always freaked me out though) when purchasing. 

Again everyone thanks for the help. 

Wish I had been wrong. Unfortunately something I've seen happen in many tanks.

Sorry Jon,

Adam
Come to a meeting, they’re fun!
jdinchak View Drop Down
Presidency
Presidency

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jdinchak Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 29 2014 at 6:35pm
Originally posted by Mark Peterson Mark Peterson wrote:

...We had some issues with our pump and it took a few days to get fixed so I thought the changes stressed him out and he died.... When we first got the pump back on we noticed a lot of debris came out of the piping, we did a water change, added fresh carbon and even bought filter socks to try to help that out....
I for one would really appreciate anything you could share with us regarding how this happened and what to prepare to avoid it. Maybe make it a post in this Reefkeeping Tips thread where many others shared their sad tales:
<font face="Times New Roman, Times, serif" size="3">Avoiding a tank crash - http://www.utahreefs.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=9664

Aloha Hug

See if I can talk Bacot into a SeaStar article.
180G Mixed Reef Tank

170G Dart Frog Tank
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
  Share Topic