Utah Reefs Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

4-0-B super setup

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Boxerboy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Boxerboy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: 4-0-B super setup
    Posted: July 24 2014 at 12:19am
I've tried several different setups in the 2 years I've been in the hobby as many have I'm sure. Started with a 14g bio cube to test the waters (literally). Then I decided to convert my fresh 72 bow over to salt water, got overwhelmed with my casualty rate so then I went back to what worked which was my bio cube.
A tank that small never satisfies the saltwater appetite so I jumped on the rimless cube band wagon, went for the whole experience and built everything from the ground up. What an adventure! All was well until I decided to move, then I decided it was time for the cube to go, so I packed everything I could into my bio cube and sold the rest. While still a challenge it was much more reasonable to move it.
After about a month I once again couldn't be restricted to such a small bio cube. With the lack of space for a tank I decided a 40 gallon breeder would be ideal and that is currently where I am at and loving the size and usefulness of the dimensions.
120G's
Radion/T5 Combo
Vertex 150 Skimmer
Apex Controlled
SPS LPS & Softies
Boxerboy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Boxerboy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 24 2014 at 12:35am
Here's my brand new 40B tank from petcos dollar per gallon sale. Don't really like that tetra makes their plastic rim so unnecessarily wide. I liked it better when petco stocked aqueon tanks but oh well I spent $40 instead of 120$ so I'll take it. My first time drilling a tank went alright, not perfect but perfectly functional.

I really wanted the 20L sump but wouldn't fit so had to return and get the 20 tall :(

Thank goodness this one fit

Tank on stand looks good!

Decided to try and make the sump rimless and in the process fuged up big-time! Cracked the side panel but instead of spending $20 on a new sump I just siliconed it. Can't see it in the stand anyway.

I just made one baffle, bought a sheet of acrylic from Lowe's, notched it with my table saw and siliconed it in. Looked like it was computer cut. Perfect!
120G's
Radion/T5 Combo
Vertex 150 Skimmer
Apex Controlled
SPS LPS & Softies
Boxerboy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Boxerboy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 24 2014 at 12:41am
Here it is all plumbed(by far my least favorite part) put all Caribsea live sand from Fish 4 U and OCD reefs so I could transfer all my livestock over quickly.
120G's
Radion/T5 Combo
Vertex 150 Skimmer
Apex Controlled
SPS LPS & Softies
Boxerboy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Boxerboy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 24 2014 at 12:57am
While setting this up I neglected my biocube quite a bit so I was anxious to get it all transferred over so I didn't have to maintain two tanks. A couple days after I added the sand I didn't have work so I just decided to move it all over.
I got all my livestock moved over and as I was transferring and mounting my apex heaters ato etc.... FOOD POISONING began to set in and boy was it painfull! I was trying to screw things in all hunched over in agony. Laid down on the floor and passed out a couple times to try and push through. I got the necessary items installed and running finally so nothing would die and I didn't even have the strength to get to bed so I continued to lay on the floor and feel asleep. And here I thought hobbies were supposed to aleviate stress hahaha

120G's
Radion/T5 Combo
Vertex 150 Skimmer
Apex Controlled
SPS LPS & Softies
Boxerboy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Boxerboy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 24 2014 at 1:03am
Currently I have a bunch of coral, and for fish I have 2 Picasso clowns I've had for about a year 1 bi-color damsel and a cleaner shrimp + 2 starfish(double tile and red Bali)

I needed my sand cleaned so I decided to get a sand sifter and he went so well with the plump copperband butterfly I just couldn't pass him up. Good news is they both are doing excellent!

120G's
Radion/T5 Combo
Vertex 150 Skimmer
Apex Controlled
SPS LPS & Softies
Boxerboy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Boxerboy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 24 2014 at 1:04am
I also picked up 2 mangrove saplings from Mitch the other day, decided to try something new.
120G's
Radion/T5 Combo
Vertex 150 Skimmer
Apex Controlled
SPS LPS & Softies
Krazie4Acans View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Krazie4Acans Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 24 2014 at 7:49am
Can you describe how you did your overflow and plumbing? I am setting up a 40B as well and would like to see ideas of how others have done theirs. Also would you do it the same way again if you were starting over? Krazie
My ocean.
90g (yup, won it!), 40g, 28g, & 10g Systems
PADI Advanced Open Water
Tank Thread:
akv123 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote akv123 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 25 2014 at 12:02am
Looks very cool. I really like the plumbing. Can't believe you were doing all that while sick. Goes to show you that the term "sick" depends on what needs to get done or is more interesting than laying in bed!
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic