Utah Reefs Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Hi Everyone

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
MClark View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MClark Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Hi Everyone
    Posted: July 24 2014 at 1:26pm
Hello Everyone my name is Michelle and I just got a used 75 gallon tank. I'm new to this hobby but am super duper excited to jump in. Can I get some equipment recommendations. I hear alot of praise and alot of skepticism around LED's.

Looking forward to getting to know you all.
Newbie needing help
Jeremyw View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jeremyw Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 24 2014 at 1:36pm
WELCOME! 

What equipment do you have already? 

J
Adam Blundell View Drop Down
Presidency
Presidency

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Adam Blundell Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 24 2014 at 1:52pm
Cool, hopefully someone near you will post here. Great to have a nearby friend to help out.

Or call Mark, he'll drive anywhere.

Adam
Come to a meeting, they’re fun!
Matt View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Matt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 24 2014 at 2:01pm
Hi Michelle I run 2 hydra 52 led light fixtures and I love them. It took a little time to get them adjusted, but I love how cool they are. I don't run any fans or a chiller on my tank. I do run a heater and it comes on in the summer. My tank stays at 77.8 and I keep my house at 74. Heat was a big reason I went LEDs. I have great coral growth and corals look amazing.
Matt Savage

"Tattoos and Street Bikes"
MClark View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MClark Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 24 2014 at 2:15pm
All I have at the moment is a 75gallon tank and stand.....I think I would like to do LED's though cause it looks really cool on some of the youtube videos I've seen where you adjust the lights and different parts of the corals stand out.
Newbie needing help
Mark Peterson View Drop Down
Paid Member
Paid Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark Peterson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 24 2014 at 2:25pm
Did you see my welcome and my suggestions in the other thread, the one about favorite stores?

Aloha,
Mark Hug
808-345-1049
Reefkeeping Tips, & quick, easy setup tricks:
www.utahreefs.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=9244
Pay it forward - become a paid WMAS member
MClark View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MClark Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 24 2014 at 2:27pm
Sorry, I saw two posts one to do it here or in the new tank section and now just read yours saying to do it in the new tank section.

Sorry :(
Newbie needing help
Hogie View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hogie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 24 2014 at 5:41pm
Hi Michelle and welcome! I started saltwater aquariums a couple of years ago and the club has been huge help to me in getting started. When I started, I didn't know anything about saltwater aquariums other than they were cool. Adam (posted above) suggested to me that go I go and look at some of the different tanks in the club. I found that all the members were more than willing to show off their tanks and explain them to me. That was a huge help for me in getting started because the equipment is very dependent on what you are going to have in your tank and how much time you want to put in on your tank. There are some, like Mark, who like to do tanks in a naturalist/minimalist style without a lot of equipment while other tanks like more equipment that let's them control and monitor everything on thing on their tank (love2skiutah is a good example of a high tech tank.) neither method is right or wrong, just different styles. Another thing that helped me was to look at the tanks of the month which you can find on the homepage. It shows pics of different tanks and what equipment they use.) Do you know what kind of tank you want?
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic