Utah Reefs Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

75 Gallon Newbie Tank Build

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
MClark View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MClark Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: 75 Gallon Newbie Tank Build
    Posted: July 24 2014 at 2:29pm
Hi all,

I only have two pieces of equipment a 75 gallon tank and stand. Need all the help I can get in regards to picking out equipment. 

Only thing I'm leaning towards right now is LED's once someone can assure me that there ok as I have read some skepticism.

Thanks All :)
Newbie needing help
euroking View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote euroking Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 24 2014 at 2:55pm
Hey, we are all still newbie with all the new technology coming out, but Welcome and congrats and starting a tank. I personally love LED's, with all the different colors you can simulate it is a great choice. Plus for the power output the power usage is low. T5HO and MH are good choices too, I know MH use alot of power, T5HO has more of a limit of penetration than MH just due to power output from my understanding. Though I have seen many amazing tanks running off of T5HO that were fairly deep. MH and LED will both give you an awesome shimmer if your into that kind of thing. You could always get a T5HO set up and supplement with LED's as well..
15gal self contained. LED.
Mark Peterson View Drop Down
Paid Member
Paid Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark Peterson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 24 2014 at 3:29pm
As I'm sure you know, it's a bit different than a Goldfish bowl. Wink I might categorize a reef tank into four areas:

1. The tank and supplementary external filtration - glass or acrylic tank? Skimmer, UV, Ozone, Sump/Refugium or None of these?
2. The biology and biofiltration - living things living together and filtering their own ecosystem
3. The illumination - sunlight and/or variations of artificial light
4. The water flow - pumps, powerheads providing effective multi-directional water flow

The size of the tank and it's occupants has a lot to do with supplementary equipment. In the simplest method this 75 gal tank, pictured below with yours truly, was equipped with 3 powerheads(one only is visible) and received its major illumination from the sun. All filtration was accomplished within the tank itself by it's millions of tiny occupants. This is a reef in it's most simple and natural state. Any more than this is completely up to you.

Aloha,
Mark Hug

Reefkeeping Tips, & quick, easy setup tricks:
www.utahreefs.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=9244
Pay it forward - become a paid WMAS member
ReefdUp View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ReefdUp Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 24 2014 at 5:48pm
Welcome!

I was one of the big skeptics of LEDs for a long time, so I decided to design and build a set for my engineering grad project. Thanks to the LED gurus on this board, my lights rock! They are over a 150g tall SPS dominant tank, so there are definitely options for you.

If I were you, I'd go to a bunch of stores and people's houses. Figure out what you absolutely have to keep to be happy...then buy the rest of your equipment around that.

Nikki

Edited by ReefdUp - July 24 2014 at 5:49pm
www.reefdup.com
Diving since 2009, reefkeeping since 2007, & fishkeeping since 1987
200g, 75g, & 15g Systems
PADI Advanced Open Water
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic