Utah Reefs Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Specific questions regarding Flatworm Exit

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
peiji View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote peiji Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Specific questions regarding Flatworm Exit
    Posted: August 17 2014 at 9:04am
I'm going to be doing this this afternoon. I've read all the threads I could find and read the instructions several times. There are just a few questions I have that I can't seem to find answers to. 

1. The directions say 1 pound of activated carbon for 50g. That seems like a lot. It's also very expensive for that much carbon. I read somewhere else that they used 1/2 cup. Are there different types of activated carbon where you don't need a pound?

2. How long should I continue to run the carbon reactor? I plan on using my BRS reactor but not add any GFO like I usually do. Do I need to dump all the carbon soon after running because it's all "used up" and toxic? I'm not really an expert on the scientific properties of carbon and how it works. 

Jared Page
Highland, UT
Graphic Designer
Fatman View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fatman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 17 2014 at 10:32am
I used 3/4 lb of carbon for my 120 gallon (175 with the connected frag tank and sump). I ran it for three days and then dumped it. I think it mostly depends on how many flatworms you can get rid of with a turkey baster as they die.

Fat
February 4: Winter Banquet at the Living Planet Aquarium
Tickets: http://utahreefs.com/store/index.php?route=product/category&path=36
peiji View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote peiji Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 17 2014 at 10:53am
How do you know when to dump it? Will most of the toxins be absorbed in hours? Days? Is it best to do multiple small batches of carbon?
Jared Page
Highland, UT
Graphic Designer
builderofdreams View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote builderofdreams Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 17 2014 at 12:13pm
About 5 years ago i had an issue with flatworms. I used an external canister filter filled with fresh carbon.
I medicated the tank removed as many dying worms as possible and about 45 minutes later when the majority was dead and removed i changed about 50 gallons of water(150 glln tank) and changed the carbon and then just let it run the rest of the night and removed it the next morning.
Personally 50$ worth of carbon and some salt was not worth the risk of losing even one of my other livestock.
Oh yea, i didnt lose anything.Big smile
Not sure anyone really knows 100% positively when carbon stops doing its job.

Edited by builderofdreams - August 17 2014 at 12:18pm
It's Not a Hobby It's an Obsession
150&210 Gallons of Madness and. Sanity! 801-850-4915

http://www.utahreefs.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=65135&title=builderofdreams-feedback-post
Molli View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Molli Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 17 2014 at 4:57pm
An idea instead of using a turkey baster.  Get some 1/4"hose and syphon out the dying flatworms.  It is a lot faster that way and you don't end up syphoning much water. The quicker you can syphon them out the less toxins they will be putting into the tank.
peiji View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote peiji Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 17 2014 at 5:01pm
Here we go. I'm adding the Flatworm Exit now. Hope it goes well. I do plan on syphoning out all the dead flatworms with a 1/4" hose. I've been doing that for weeks now so I hope I got enough of them. I just filled a Little Fishes reactor with AC and plan to run it overnight. 
Jared Page
Highland, UT
Graphic Designer
peiji View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote peiji Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 18 2014 at 9:11pm
I'm happy to report that things have gone without a hitch. The inverts, corals and fish didn't seem a bit different. Everything looks the same except the flatworms are gone, for now. The flatworms started dying within 5 minutes of dosing the tank. After an hour, I did a 25% water change and so far so good. 
Jared Page
Highland, UT
Graphic Designer
Mike Savage View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mike Savage Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 18 2014 at 9:56pm
I'm glad it is working well.

Adam Blundell View Drop Down
Presidency
Presidency

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Adam Blundell Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 18 2014 at 10:31pm
I recommend dosing again and again.  Like every few weeks. 

Adam
Come to a meeting, they’re fun!
Jeremyw View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jeremyw Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 19 2014 at 7:17am
Originally posted by Adam Blundell Adam Blundell wrote:

I recommend dosing again and again.  Like every few weeks. 

Adam

Amen to this! 
Mark Peterson View Drop Down
Paid Member
Paid Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark Peterson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 19 2014 at 7:43am
Agreed.
The few remaining flatworms that die will not be as polluting to the water so a huge water change is not necessary, just a change of AC.

Aloha  Hug
Reefkeeping Tips, & quick, easy setup tricks:
www.utahreefs.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=9244
Pay it forward - become a paid WMAS member
peiji View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote peiji Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 19 2014 at 7:48am
I plan on it. Thanks. Any thoughts on how often i need to dump the carbon after switching it out for a flatworm exit treatment? 
Jared Page
Highland, UT
Graphic Designer
Mark Peterson View Drop Down
Paid Member
Paid Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark Peterson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 19 2014 at 10:23am
Typically, AC is saturated/used up within 2 weeks, depending on the level dissolved organics in the water. Different toxins stick to different places on the AC so that's a difficult question to answer. I'd probably change it 3-5 days after a run where few flatworms died. It's continual presence in the water, even at low levels still has a bad effect on flatworms. That's the principle behind the gradual dosage, no water change method.

Aloha  Hug
Reefkeeping Tips, & quick, easy setup tricks:
www.utahreefs.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=9244
Pay it forward - become a paid WMAS member
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic