Utah Reefs Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Digitate Hydroids

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
laroc View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote laroc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Digitate Hydroids
    Posted: August 21 2014 at 4:23pm
Anyone have experience with these little buggers. I couldn't find much information in the internet. Some say they don't hurt the coral some yes they do. One guy took out all the live rock and dipped it in boiling water ( this would be the last route). They do have a nasty sting.

My thoughts are peppermint shrimp since they can eat aiptasia.I will not feed the shrimp ( making them more opportunistic hunters this how I got rid of the aiptasias)  However I do have a clam. Not sure if the shrimp would try to eat the clam since they will be hungry.

Thanks.
Always be leery of a fish farmer...wait or is it a pig farmer?
1stupidpunk View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 1stupidpunk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 21 2014 at 4:47pm
Nikki will probably have better info on this but from my understanding Digitate Hydriods are somewhat common hitch hikers that will establish ground in a new tank. If you dont have any livestock simply starving them out will kill them off fairly quickly.

Colonial Hydriods on the other hand like to grow in colonies (hence the name) and can take over entire pieces of rock. Some people claim that covering them in kalk paste will kill them off while others have resorted to taking the rock out and boiling it.

Then again there are a number of things that look similar to hydroids that are harmless... if you have the chance to post a picture of the suspect hydriod that would greatly help with the recommended treatment....

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 1stupidpunk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 21 2014 at 4:51pm
If you cant post a picture does it look like this?
http://melevsreef.com/critters/digitate-hydroid
ReefdUp View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ReefdUp Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 21 2014 at 5:56pm
I think you've covered what all I'd say! :)

This is what they look like not all stretched out (usually they hide in the rocks and stretch out...so this is an unusual shot). I have a video of it somewhere...it's crazy to watch!

I don't recommend them in seahorse tanks, but I've never had an issue with them in a reef tank (granted, I still don't like them and don't have any currently). If you don't like them, you can put a dab of superglue, kalk-paste, or epoxy over their hole when they retract.
www.reefdup.com
Diving since 2009, reefkeeping since 2007, & fishkeeping since 1987
200g, 75g, & 15g Systems
PADI Advanced Open Water
laroc View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote laroc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 21 2014 at 8:19pm
1stupidpunk yep that's them.
Thanks .

Always be leery of a fish farmer...wait or is it a pig farmer?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 1stupidpunk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 22 2014 at 4:48am
Yeah i agree with Nikki, unless your raising fry or keeping seahorse(s), dwarves especially, i wouldnt even be concerned with hydroids.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic