Utah Reefs Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

best thing to get ride of sting?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
ctreeftank View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ctreeftank Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: best thing to get ride of sting?
    Posted: August 25 2014 at 8:44pm
What is the best way to treat brittle worms sting?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ctreeftank Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 25 2014 at 8:48pm
I was stupid and moved so rock and grabbed right on a bog bristles worm.
badfinger View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote badfinger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 25 2014 at 9:14pm
I believe vinegar and duck tape... duck tape will pull them out. And vinegar will dissolve them
Dan9554880 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dan9554880 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 25 2014 at 9:16pm
I used tape and it works pretty well
210 Mixed Reef
20 Nuvo nano reef
Learn your tank, not the hobby

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ctreeftank Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 25 2014 at 9:17pm
Thanks I feel so stupid it to frag one with my bare hand?
ReefdUp View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ReefdUp Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 25 2014 at 11:42pm
For the vast majority of marine stings, first aid is vinegar and as hot of water as yoi can safely tolerate (breaks down any toxins.)

Edited by ReefdUp - August 25 2014 at 11:42pm
www.reefdup.com
Diving since 2009, reefkeeping since 2007, & fishkeeping since 1987
200g, 75g, & 15g Systems
PADI Advanced Open Water
Mark Peterson View Drop Down
Paid Member
Paid Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark Peterson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 26 2014 at 6:30am
By now it's been long enough since the injury that the stinging irritation is over, but next time keep some White Vinegar handy. I hit bristleworms all the time, sometimes getting a line of bristles up my finger, especially when digging into the sand/crushed coral to give away Caulerpa attached to sand. I soak the finger or affected part for 5 -10 minutes in a small cup of white Vinegar. The spines dissolve away completely, even under the skin. The pain and irritation also disappear.  White Vinegar is invaluable.

Aloha  Hug
Reefkeeping Tips, & quick, easy setup tricks:
www.utahreefs.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=9244
Pay it forward - become a paid WMAS member
Hogie View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hogie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 26 2014 at 7:46am
Gloves people, gloves!
Will Spencer View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Will Spencer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 26 2014 at 11:54am
Originally posted by Hogie Hogie wrote:

Gloves people, gloves!

An ounce of prevention?!? Wacko

Of course prevention is the ultimate, but if you didn't think of this and now it is too late, I agree with those who say vinegar. 

I once pulled a bunch of sponge out of my tank without realizing that it had small calcareous spinicules.  After a few minutes of handling the sponge I had millions of them in both of my hands and they were stinging like crazy.  A 10 minute soak in a bowl of vinegar, I only had Apple Cider Vinegar, and they were gone along with the sting.
Paid Member
Paid Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark Peterson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 26 2014 at 4:57pm
Will, I remember when you told us about that some years ago. Your experience helped me to be more careful with LR that has matured and been stationary for a long time. Thanks for sharing again for all that hadn't heard it.

There are people that react very negatively to these and other stings, like from coral and anemones, but not me. These things bother some people more than others. I don't mean to boast, but I have never used gloves, probably never will. I can feel the nematocyst stings from Euphyllia so I'm careful with those coral.

Many years ago I got sick for a day after a morning of fragging palythoa. Learned a good lesson from that experience - to frag a little at a time, not all at once.

Carpet Anemones can cause severe damage. I would never chance letting a carpet anemone wrap itself around my hand/arm like some people I know have done. Ouch

There is one branching sponge that does a number me. I call it the color changing sponge because it grows dark green or black in the light but grows white where it gets little light. Just handling it for 30 seconds creates pain in my fingers. I haven't heard of anyone else being bothered by it.

Aloha  Hug
Will Spencer View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Will Spencer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 27 2014 at 2:35pm
Originally posted by Mark Peterson Mark Peterson wrote:

Will, I remember when you told us about that some years ago. Your experience helped me to be more careful with LR that has matured and been stationary for a long time. Thanks for sharing again for all that hadn't heard it.

There is one branching sponge that does a number me. I call it the color changing sponge because it grows dark green or black in the light but grows white where it gets little light. Just handling it for 30 seconds creates pain in my fingers. I haven't heard of anyone else being bothered by it.

Aloha  Hug

It was actually this sponge that I had trouble with.
Hogie View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hogie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 27 2014 at 4:45pm
What sponge is that?
Paid Member
Paid Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark Peterson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 27 2014 at 10:31pm

Hogie View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hogie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 27 2014 at 11:09pm
Is that the black dead finger?
Paid Member
Paid Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark Peterson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 28 2014 at 8:48am
It's not Codium Algae.
The common name of "dead mans fingers" has been given to a host of organisms, including a terrestrial fungus.
Whatever common name other people may have given it, my name for it is Color Changing Sponge, in memory of the Color Changing Hot Wheels Cars from my sons toy box, years ago. Smile

Aloha Hug

P.S.
That's Utah Rock in the top pic of a 3 month old tank. Compare it's porousity with the wild collected LR in the next pic. Within about a year it was almost completely pink with Coralline Algae.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic