Utah Reefs Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Copperband not doing well

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Dan9554880 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dan9554880 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Copperband not doing well
    Posted: September 03 2014 at 5:30pm
Well this past few days my copperband has started to behave differently. He has started to spent most of the days hiding instead of being out of on the tank. Today he has refuse to eat and he looks skinny. I had him since July 5 and he had been eating mysis everyday since then til today. The store had him for about month feeding on brine and mysis. What can I so he doesn't die?
I try feeding with no success: flakes, pellets, and clam both on shell and chop
210 Mixed Reef
20 Nuvo nano reef
Learn your tank, not the hobby
Fatman View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fatman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 03 2014 at 8:12pm
I think you'll get a better response if you can provide more information on what other symptoms you can see.
February 4: Winter Banquet at the Living Planet Aquarium
Tickets: http://utahreefs.com/store/index.php?route=product/category&path=36

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dan9554880 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 03 2014 at 8:17pm
Well it's laying on his side, breathing a bit heavily, I don't think his going to make
210 Mixed Reef
20 Nuvo nano reef
Fatman View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fatman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 03 2014 at 10:59pm
Any sign of ich or other parasites or diseases? Do you have a hospital tank you can set up to isolate and treat it?
Mark Peterson View Drop Down
Paid Member
Paid Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark Peterson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 04 2014 at 8:58am
Unfortunately, by the time they are laying on their side on the sand and breathing oddly, it's typically too late. As hobbyists, we strive to catch little problems before they reach a point of no return. This knowledge comes with experience. I know that in the last while you have been gaining lots of experience and knowledge. Thumbs Up

So what do we do when a fish starts hiding? Typically it means they are sick or they are being chased or both. I've had fish disappear for a few days and then reappear looking just fine. They probably had the Flu. Other times, I never see them alive again. What to do? Everyone knows that I promote the use of an effective garlic food additive and I talk about training bullies to stop bullying, but before those little miracles were revealed to me, I tried to learn how to make the environment as healthy and fish friendly as possible. This seems to have worked for me but it involved advance planning. It involved visiting with other hobbyists, viewing their setups and picking up good reefkeeping tips. That was the original purpose we founded this club, so we could share and learn how to do a better reef aquarium. Feel free to come back over to my place (when the lights are onWink) to pick up a few tips.

Aloha  Hug
MarksReef Coral (& fish) Farm
808-345-1049 (please call ahead)
750 E Lakepoint Dr. #4V  Murray

P.S.
Those sick RBTA's you brought to me have recovered nicely and are doing very well.

Edited by Mark Peterson - September 04 2014 at 9:03am
Reefkeeping Tips, & quick, easy setup tricks:
www.utahreefs.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=9244
Pay it forward - become a paid WMAS member
BobC63 View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BobC63 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 04 2014 at 9:31am
Here's my questions-

Given that this type of fish (CBB) is notorious for being difficult to keep - mainly related to feeding  / starvation issues...

1) How large is your tank? How many lbs of Live rock? How long has the tank been running?

2) Any other grazers or 'worm / pod feeders' in the tank; e.g. wrasses, mandarins, blennies, sailfin tangs, etc?

3) A photo of your tank may be helpful to assess whether or not you have the proper environment for this species

4) Bloodworms, tubifex, glassworms... ever try feeding it any of those foods?

- My Current Tank: 65g Starfire (sitting empty for 2+ years) -

* Marine & Reef tanks since 1977 *
Paid Member
Paid Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark Peterson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 05 2014 at 7:22am
Beer to Bob's questions.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dan9554880 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 05 2014 at 9:08am
He passed away yerstoday, I do have a yellow wrasse. The tank it's a 90 gallon with more than 100 pounds of liverock I'm not sure how much I have (lost count) I'll try to get a tank shot up later on
210 Mixed Reef
20 Nuvo nano reef
Fatman View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fatman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 05 2014 at 12:19pm
Sorry. That's hard to lose one.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dan9554880 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 06 2014 at 3:35pm
Here's a full tank shot

210 Mixed Reef
20 Nuvo nano reef
Paid Member
Paid Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark Peterson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 06 2014 at 7:41pm
Thanks for the pic. 
A few cloning RBTA's I see.Thumbs Up
My opinion, from looking at the pic, is that the CBB had almost no live stuff to eat. Sorry Unhappy

What seems to happen is that Butterflyfish can survive only so long on supplemental frozen and prepared foods, until they eventually succumb to malnutrition. They need live polyps of all sorts like stony coral and Aiptasia. Tube worms are also part of their diet. For what it's worth, see the pics below for a better understanding.

Aloha  Hug

This is just under the water surface in a small (~3'x3') Hawaii tide pool where their preferred food flourished because it was a Refugium where Butterflyfish and Moorish Idols (and Tangs) could not reach.

This very healthy CBB lived for years in a WMAS hobbyists tank where the sand (last pic) had 1000's of reproducing tube worms. 

In the original pic it was hard to see, but a picture editing program sharpened the image so the tiny black tubes can be seen sticking out of the sand. 

BobC63 View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BobC63 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 06 2014 at 9:41pm
Thanks for the tank shot, it really helps. Here is what I see -

You don't have enough live rock. Not sure where you got the "100 lbs" figure from, let me explain...

This is MY 90 gallon reef tank. So, same size tank. My tank has 75 lbs of Live Rock in it:

I think you will agree that my 75 lbs sure looks like substantially more rock than your 100 lbs...

A CBB needs an environment with a lot of Live Rock to forage in. These fish use their long noses to pull worms, amphipods and other small creatures out of the rock.

I also don't know if your rock is 'old' enough for a CBB yet. Does your rock look like this, close up?

Lots of little nooks and crannies; filled with little holes and algae spots, sponge growth, etc...
This is the proper environment on which to provide adequate worm and amphipod populations on which the CBB can feed. My tank has been up for 15 months; however, some of this rock is significantly older than that, as it came from my previous setup which ran for 3 years...

And, even though I have what appears to be a good environment for a Copperband, I don't have one.

That's because of the 3rd thing you need to have in order to successfully keep this fish: the right tankmates

I have several other fish (wrasses) who keep the pod and worm population too low to sustain a CBB.

In your case, the Yellow Coris and (to a lesser extent) the Yellow Tang are not compatible with the CBB. The Coris will eat up pods and worms needed for the Copperband; the Tang will clean out many of the algae-laden worm breeding holes and thus limit food availability for the CBB in that way.

Edited by Upload2 - September 06 2014 at 10:23pm
Upload2 View Drop Down
Presidency
Presidency

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Upload2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 06 2014 at 10:29pm
So, in short, 3 things you would need to change in order to try another Copperband =

1) Double the amount of Live rock you currently have. Look for large, porous - looking pieces with good algal and sponge growth on it. Finding established Live rock on the Message Board is a good way to get some well - established rock for cheap

2) Remove the Yellow Coris for sure, and probably the Yellow Tang as well

3) Feed the next CBB worms as well as brine and Mysis; bloodworms, glass worms and live tubifex and I'd try those 'probiotic' live blackworms that Benepets carries
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic