Utah Reefs Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Help with corals

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
StartingInUtah View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote StartingInUtah Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Help with corals
    Posted: September 08 2014 at 6:38am

I am having some very big problems with my tank and am hoping someone might be able to help me out.  My fish are doing fine but my corals look terrible and if I don't do something about them soon then I am not sure they are going to survive,  I went to Hawaii a couple weeks ago and had my dad feed the fish and since I went things have gone terribly wrong in my tank.  I am wondering if anyone could help me with my situation.  Ideally I would have someone close to Orem take all my corals and try to revive them until I can get my water back where it should be but if that is not a possibility any advice would be more than welcome.  I have about 7 small pieces of coral is all.

Thanks for any help you can give in advance.

Dion Richins View Drop Down
Presidency
Presidency

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dion Richins Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 08 2014 at 7:13am
Im not close but I would recommend as much as 100% water change. Amazing what that will do :)

However, How old is the tank? Lighting? Etc.

Edited by Dion Richins - September 08 2014 at 7:14am
Bad "censored" Cabinets
Best quality in the valley! He is one sexy bald guy, even with out a finger!(MAC)
Jeremyw View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jeremyw Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 08 2014 at 8:20am
Yes, can you post a picture of your tank, and post your parameters? 

Also have you done any type of water change recently? Where the corals fine until you left?

J
peiji View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote peiji Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 08 2014 at 8:42am
I'm in Highland and work right off of 5th E. in A.F. I'd be happy to offer any advice or take your corals, depending on size and type. 
Jared Page
Highland, UT
Graphic Designer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote StartingInUtah Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 08 2014 at 9:32am
The tank has been set up since April. It was doing very well until I left on vacation. When I cameback a fish had died and I never found it and I have a feeling that they were being overfed, by looking at the condition of the tank. I have changed my activated carbon and cleaned the filters and done two 10 gallon water changes since I have been back in just over two weeks. I don't know my current parameters but know everything was way off when I came back. I was going to test it all tonight when I got home from work. I don't have a picture of the tank right now but can get one tonight. Thanks for all the help.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote StartingInUtah Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 08 2014 at 9:36am
Sorry, to answer the other question I have LED lighting so that should be just fine.
Mark Peterson View Drop Down
Paid Member
Paid Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark Peterson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 08 2014 at 11:59am
A pic would be very helpful.
Tanksitter overfeeding. Disapprove
If you stop feeding now for several days, the tank will start to improve and when we see a pic we can offer further advice.
Also would like to know the Alk and Ca levels.
Did other animals die? Snails perhaps? Remove dead and dieing Snails immediately and as soon as good tank conditions permit add more snails. Otherwise an algae bloom could arise.
Reefkeeping Tips, & quick, easy setup tricks:
www.utahreefs.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=9244
Pay it forward - become a paid WMAS member
ctreeftank View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ctreeftank Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 08 2014 at 1:37pm
I am in Orem what kind of coral Are they?
Softplan View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Softplan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 08 2014 at 3:26pm
That's why I moved to soft corals.  Soft corals aren't picky and some actually like it when someone over feeds while you're gone.

I'd rather enjoy the hobby than stress over my corals.  The only downfall is that you don't get some of the amazing colors and contrasts like sps or lps.  The upside soft corals are cheaper and TONS easier to take care of.  One other thing is the soft corals fill out much faster giving you an established reef look much quicker and easy to cut back and frag.

My guess is nitrates and phosphates are getting the best of your corals along with calcium, alkilinity, and magnesium not being right.  When I had a hit like this most of my nice sps corals never came back even with getting parameters in line.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic