Utah Reefs Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Led driver help

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
1973Ford View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 1973Ford Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Led driver help
    Posted: September 08 2014 at 3:12pm
They are the mean well eln 60 27d I have 9 volts running into them but I have nothing coming out to turn the LEDs on
Krazie4Acans View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Krazie4Acans Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 08 2014 at 3:21pm
Take a picture of how you have it wired up and I'm sure I can help you figure it out.

Your LEDs are all in series, right? Minus of first LED goers to the plus of the next?

How many LED's are you trying to run and what is their FV rating?

So many questions. lol Krazie
My ocean.
90g (yup, won it!), 40g, 28g, & 10g Systems
PADI Advanced Open Water
Tank Thread:
1973Ford View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 1973Ford Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 08 2014 at 3:26pm
All LEDs worked I'm just switching the drivers to the dimmable ones I have used there drivers before with the LEDs but it was on a reef keeper and this time I'm using 2 pots to dim them I can't upload pics for some reason
Krazie4Acans View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Krazie4Acans Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 08 2014 at 3:28pm
Hook up the 9 volts directly to the white an blue wire without the pot to see if it works that way first. If it does then the problem is in how you wired up the pot for the dimming. You can also just use a 9v battery across the two wires so you don't have to disconnect everything from the POT.
My ocean.
90g (yup, won it!), 40g, 28g, & 10g Systems
PADI Advanced Open Water
Tank Thread:
Fatman View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fatman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 08 2014 at 4:20pm
One of the pot legs USUALLY goes to a ground.

The 27D only has the capacity to run about 9 (at the most) 3 Watt LEDs. If you have more than 8 LEDs on that circuit you have too many, unless they are 1 Watt or lower voltage LEDs. It also has a very high amp rating so it will push out 2.3 amps unless you have adjusted it down. To tune it you need to open it up and turn the pot inside all the way counter clockwise. Attach a multimeter to the circuit in series and set for amps (some of them require you to move the test lead to amps). Then power up the lights and gently adjust the pot clockwise until you get the right milliamps for your LEDs. Their spec sheet will tell you.

If you plug that driver in without adjusting the amps down your LEDs will glow really brightly for about one second then burn out.

Let me know if you need more help. Krazie and I are both in the area and can help with this.

Fat
February 4: Winter Banquet at the Living Planet Aquarium
Tickets: http://utahreefs.com/store/index.php?route=product/category&path=36
1973Ford View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 1973Ford Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 08 2014 at 4:37pm
I'm using 8 LEDs per driver. I wired everything like they say to on rapid led I get 9 volts into the driver and when I turn the pot the voltage drops I'm trying to adjust the drivers so I don't burn out the LEDs but I don't get power to the LEDs if that makes sense
Fatman View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fatman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 08 2014 at 4:59pm

On the left there are two wires coming out of one cable. The brown one goes to the 110 VAC hot, or black wire in house wiring, if you're putting a plug on it the smaller of the two goes on this one. The blue wire is neutral, it goes to the white house wire or the larger of the two on the plug.

On the right side are the two wires that go to the driver. Red is positive and should go to the positive (+)lead on your led circuit. If you are using a POT then that one is the one you control with the POT. The black wire is your ground. It comes back from the ground (-) on the LEDs.

You should have around 110 Volts AC on the two wires going into the left side of the driver. You should have 27 volts coming out of the right side (if the POT is all the way turned up). Trimming the POT (turning it) will vary the current and/or voltage going out.

Be very sure you have the driver tuned down before you run them.

Fat

(PS, if his is too confusing, just PM me and you can bring them up)

February 4: Winter Banquet at the Living Planet Aquarium
Tickets: http://utahreefs.com/store/index.php?route=product/category&path=36
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic