Utah Reefs Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Hello, I'm new

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
MFrancis View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MFrancis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Hello, I'm new
    Posted: October 13 2014 at 9:52pm
Hi, my name is Michelle Francis and I'm new here. Chris G added me into this group because he's working on getting an amazing aquarium for my classroom. I teach 1st grade and my class is known as the Francis Ocean. I try to include information about ocean life wherever I can while I'm teaching and I have quite the library of ocean books for my 1st graders to read or to look at pictures. If all goes well, we should have the aquarium in my classroom in 3-4 weeks! My students don't know what is coming, but I've told them we have something really cool coming to our class to help us with science and they are so excited to find out what the surprise is. I know the aquarium will be a hit! I also look forward to the calming that water can bring into a room. To say I'm excited would be an understatement, it's been a year in the works.

Other than being a teacher, I've been married 15 years and have an 11 year old daughter. If we could, we would spend our days out in the water or at least at the aquarium.

I'm a complete newbie when it comes to salt tanks, but I've heard you're a great group to help out. Thanks and I look forward to getting to know all of you.
Reefer4Ever View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Reefer4Ever Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 13 2014 at 11:42pm
We are glad to have you aboard Michelle. That's a great idea with your class and I'm sure the kids will find great excitement and enthusiasm. We are always here to help as well as learn. Looking forward to the follow up pictures and possibly a thread on your tank and how you're using it in the classroom.
90 gal reef w/refugium
24 gal softie tank
11 gal nano anemone tank
5 gal fresh water
colesnwbds View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote colesnwbds Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 14 2014 at 8:15am
I wish I had a saltwater tank in my elementary classrooms!  Welcome.
"Fishes live in the sea, as men do a-land; the great ones eat up the little ones."

— William Shakespeare
Jeremyw View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jeremyw Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 14 2014 at 8:51am
Welcome Michelle! 

Glade to have you here! Lots of help on this forum so ask questions and lots of them! 

J
jdinchak View Drop Down
Presidency
Presidency

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jdinchak Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 14 2014 at 11:33am
Welcome
180G Mixed Reef Tank

170G Dart Frog Tank
Mark Peterson View Drop Down
Paid Member
Paid Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark Peterson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 14 2014 at 12:34pm

Education is one of the purposes, maybe even the overriding purpose of this club, of which I am the only remaining founding member.

When it comes to the ecology of the ocean, we can replicate some of it fairly well. I have a coral "farm" which operates from the energy of the sun. Yes, it's actually in the sun and you are welcome to visit. It's like a series of tide pools, abounding in marine life.

I would be happy to provide livestock and equipment for your classroom tank. Please contact me.

Aloha,
MarksReef Coral Farm
808-345-1049 (text/call ahead)
750 E. Lakepoint Dr. (~5550 So.) #4V in Murray ( I used to run a coral farm in Bountiful)
Reefkeeping Tips, & quick, easy setup tricks:
www.utahreefs.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=9244
Pay it forward - become a paid WMAS member
MFrancis View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MFrancis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 14 2014 at 7:35pm
Thank you all very much!
Mark - I would love to come see your coral farm some time. That sounds awesome! I'm not quite sure what I'm still needing as Chris is taking care of getting things together. I'll be seeing him on Thursday, so I'll ask him if he doesn't chime in. 
If I could, I'd have a whole wall aquarium, both at home and school. We'll see how the school one goes and maybe I'll get one at home. I almost spilled the beans today at school when we were talking about exploring and observation, but I want them to see it and be excited. Their K teacher had a small freshwater tank with a few fish and the kids loved that, so they'll be thrilled.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic