Utah Reefs Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Coral Propagation Seminar Requests

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Adam Blundell View Drop Down
Presidency
Presidency

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Adam Blundell Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Coral Propagation Seminar Requests
    Posted: July 19 2005 at 3:50pm

Hello Everyone!

Well the presidency recently met and discussed the upcoming Coral Propagation Seminar and Frag Fest.  We have a few topics to bring forth...

1) we will most likely be featuring aquacultured corals from Walt Smith.  These will be the corals you saw in his presentation a couple months ago.  This should give us a great selection of colorful acros and in a very eco-friendly manner.  There seems to be an interest in these corals because of Walt's presentation.

2) we may have some other corals provided by local stores.  I encourage them all to donate to the meeting, we'll see how it goes.  I may not know what those corals will be until just before the meeting.

3) we ask that you please do not bring your own corals to trade and sell during this meeting.  We've had a few complaints that it is taking away from the evening, which is really a fund raising event and needs to be the focus of the night.  So if you are looking to sell and trade corals please bring them to the August meeting, or the November Swap Meet.
HOWEVER...
If you have corals or frags that you would like to donate to the club, then please please please do bring them.  We would certainly appreciate any and all corals that you can bring and let the club sell. 

Thanks

Adam

Come to a meeting, they’re fun!
Summertop View Drop Down
Presidency
Presidency

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Summertop Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 19 2005 at 4:35pm

I suggest that you sell tickets for $5 a piece.  Then mark each frag as to the number of tickets needed to buy.

===========

Shawn Winterbottom
Jake Pehrson View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jake Pehrson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 20 2005 at 1:02am
Originally posted by Summertop Summertop wrote:

I suggest that you sell tickets for $5 a piece.  Then mark each frag as to the number of tickets needed to buy.

We have done this in the past.  It is something we can look at again, but the current system seems to be less work.

Jake Pehrson

Murray

coralplanet.com

:)
Summertop View Drop Down
Presidency
Presidency

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Summertop Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 20 2005 at 9:20am

Yeah, I know.  I remember doing both... As a member it is easier to buy tickets.  But, I can see where it is a lot of work for someone to sell those tickets.  It just seemed less of a hassle when actually buying a frag to just hand over a ticket or two as opposed to giving money and waiting for change.

However, I really don't care.  I am just happy to be there, get a few frags, see some seminars on how to frag, and talk to FRIENDS!    I know I am not the only one that appreciates the time the presidency (and others) put into this.  Also, the generosity of those that donate.  To that end, let me know if there is anything I can help out with.

Oh, I really like the idea of no other selling/trading between members.  It was kinda confusing last time as to whether it was a club frag or just someone selling their own stuff.

===========

Shawn Winterbottom
KeoDog View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KeoDog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 20 2005 at 9:28am
I didn't like the ticket idea before.  The good frags tend to sell out very fast and if you don't get tickets early they are gone.  I don't know how much I'm going to spend so I don't know how many tickets to buy.  If you don't buy enough you might miss out on frags and if you buy to many then there is the hassle of a refund.
Kevin Kunz (Sandy, UT)
300g reef

"A trade by which one gains and the other loses is a fraud."   Ayn Rand
Summertop View Drop Down
Presidency
Presidency

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Summertop Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 20 2005 at 9:52am
Good point kevin.  How about this...Maybe have it more like a grocery store.  Pick up what you want then pay for it as you leave?
===========

Shawn Winterbottom
Presidency
Presidency

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Adam Blundell Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 20 2005 at 10:07am

Pick up what you want then pay for it as you leave?

Yes, we will do that.  I have full confidence that will go well.

Adam

Will Spencer View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Will Spencer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 20 2005 at 12:36pm
Have we ever fragged Hydnophora?  It's one of my favorite corals.
smatney View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote smatney Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 20 2005 at 12:45pm
I would love to see some LPS fragged with a Dremmel such as Blastomussa, acanthastrea (not volunteering mine), galaxea.
Susan Matney
Farmington, UT
Kevin View Drop Down
Paid Member
Paid Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kevin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 20 2005 at 1:36pm
Is there anyway to make the frag swap so it isn't a massive free for all. I like the club having frag swaps but I don't like jumping into this massive mob of people where everyone is trying to push their way to the front just to see what is available. Im not sure what the answer is but I don't paticularly like the piranna model (everyone take take a bite before its gone).

One solution to the problem might be to do a frag auction similar to how the freshwater club does their fish auction. Downside to an auction is it takes a long time.
Presidency
Presidency

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Adam Blundell Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 20 2005 at 1:47pm

Im not sure what the answer is but I don't paticularly like the piranna model (everyone take take a bite before its gone).

I agree!  If anyone has other suggestions on this I'm all ears.

Oh, and we will have several corals for auctions (a new method we are going to try out).

Adam

bugzme View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bugzme Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 20 2005 at 7:18pm
Adam I hear that there will be a very nice piece of Miyagi up for auction. I Know it's true.
Jeff
125 tank
50 gallon sump
T-5 lighting
Rum drinker, Carbon User
I KNOW ROCKS THAT ARE YOUNGER THEN ME!! I AM A Realist! I write what I think!!
Presidency
Presidency

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Adam Blundell Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 20 2005 at 10:20pm

I hear that rumor as well..... I'll believe it when I see it.

Adam

Presidency
Presidency

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Adam Blundell Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 05 2005 at 8:13am

I'm just bumping this thread.

Adam

vangvace View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote vangvace Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 05 2005 at 11:54am

How about a tidal pool method?

Put out just some of all the frags in the begining then after say... 10mins put out some more and contiue until all the corals are out.

Also... maybe set up the back room so that all the soft coral is here, all the LPS is there, and all the SPS in a third location?

McGuire AFB, NJ

Moments of brilliance
dnellans View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dnellans Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 05 2005 at 11:57am
I like that idea... seperating it into softies, lps, sps would be great so we can get those pushy SPS junkies out of my way as i elbow in for some galaxia =)~

would be a lot easier as well if the tables weren't in a circule in the center but a long long row much more spaced out against the long wall so that things aren't so crowded!

Bob Kripfgans View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bob Kripfgans Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 05 2005 at 1:36pm
My thoughts exactly. Tables along the walls would definately ease the crowding.
WMAS is da place!
Save the Banggai's!
Tooele,Ut.
j's55 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote j's55 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 07 2005 at 4:50pm
I GOT ONE. I think you should show all the corals you are going to action
off before you start the action that way people know what they want to
get.
Josh Zorn
45G reef
lots of tropical plants
Cell it 910 3924
Presidency
Presidency

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Adam Blundell Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 21 2005 at 1:04pm

Just bumping this so people will again read the original post I made.

Adam

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic