Utah Reefs Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

How to clean Glass lenses

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
redleader View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote redleader Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: How to clean Glass lenses
    Posted: November 21 2014 at 2:28pm
THIS IS NOT REEF SAFE
USE ONLY TO CLEAN GLASS, DO NOT USE ON ACRYLIC 
Ok Now that I have your attention, as we all know solvents and cleaners are NOT REEF SAFE.  so be very careful.

When cleaning lenses and shields I remove them to a separate room, so not to get any part of the cleaner in the aquarium.

I'll post some pictures later but I wanted to share a great product I found at a local car wash.
It is Called: BIO CLEAN.
It cleans caked, baked, and impossible to remove deposits off of glass. ( Just to name a few things on the lable: it cleans scale, Scum, oxidation, phosphorous, rust, mold, salt spray etc).

I have used it on my car and in my house for years.

I first used this product to get hard water stains off of my car mirrors and windshield.

As many of you know I purchased a reef tank in trouble, and was about to replace two glass lenses, when I thought, hey why not give this a try.

The results astonished me, glass was nearly like new. Salt spray and oxidation gone.

Couple of things to watch out for:
#1 The product is a paste, it is an acid similar to lime a way or toilette bowl cleaner.  Once dry and clean it will leave a thin film  on the glass, this needs to be dry wiped off, before returning the lens to service.
#2 After cleaning with this product you must rinse, dry and dry wipe the glass
#3 After the lens is dry and clear it can be placed back in to service.
#4 At no point should this be used to treat glass that will come in to direct contact with the aquarium water

This product is biodegradable, but that does not mean it is reef safe.

I would not recommend cleaning any part of the aquarium tank itself with any solvent or paste, this product included.

A small amount of the product goes a long ways.

After 3 years I still have nearly half a bottle left.

If you would like to try this out, and don't want to buy a bottle let me know, I'm more than happy to share what I have.

Happy cleaning.

Daniel

Edited by redleader - November 21 2014 at 2:30pm
Everything in life is possible. You just have to dream big, and act bigger.

150 G Reef
redleader View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote redleader Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 21 2014 at 2:35pm
Steps to a clean lens:
1. Remove the lens
2. Clean the lens the best you can
3. using a dry paper towel, apply a small amount of cleaner to the paper towel
4. rub paste on dry glass in circular motions covering the entire area.
5. continue rubbing until paste is gone
6. Rinse with water

Repeat if needed

8. once glass is clean to your satisfaction dry, and then allow to air dry some more.
9. Wipe any residue off

10. Return lens to service
Everything in life is possible. You just have to dream big, and act bigger.

150 G Reef
Mark Peterson View Drop Down
Paid Member
Paid Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark Peterson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 21 2014 at 5:43pm
I use white vinegar to remove deposits on glass. Works awesome and is dirt cheap.
For general glass and acrylic cleaning, Sprayway, available at Walmart is excellent. It's Ammonia Free so a little overspray into the water is no problem. It cuts grease and when used generously dissolves salt so it wipes right off.

Aloha  Hug
Reefkeeping Tips, & quick, easy setup tricks:
www.utahreefs.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=9244
Pay it forward - become a paid WMAS member
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic