Utah Reefs Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Getting Started, Again!

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Marcoss View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Marcoss Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Getting Started, Again!
    Posted: November 24 2014 at 7:11pm
Hello, 

I'm super excited to get back into this hobby! I've had a fish tank here and there, mostly fresh water, and one saltwater tank. The saltwater tank was about 20G and I had it for such little time that I did not really get to learn everything I needed. I pretty much bought it looking beautiful, had it for a month or two, and maintained it nicely. Luckily, the last guy did such a great job that I really couldn't cause too much damaged. :)

...Fast forward a few years and I now I have more time, and most importantly, the space, to tackle a slightly larger project. I just purchased a tank this evening, the last 70G Artisan II that CAD Lights had. I am super excited for this set up and think its pretty solid and a good starting point. I have read a lot of negative things on here about them, but mostly good. After talking to a rep at CAD Lights I feel really good about my decision. I am really hoping they ship this week so I can have it cycled and running, with water/rocks at least, by the holidays. 

Anyway, super excited to be here! I wouldn't have gotten back into this hobby had I not seen how helpful others are on here and what amazing tanks they have created!

Thanks in advance to those who will help.

Marcos
Marcoss View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Marcoss Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 24 2014 at 7:13pm
* I have not figured out how to edit a post, but I have a massive amount of spelling errors in the above post. My apologies! 
Mike Savage View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mike Savage Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 24 2014 at 7:38pm
Welcome Marcos!

I love Cadlights tanks.

To edit a post click on "Post Options" (just above your post on the right side) then select "Edit Post"

Mike

Studboyt View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Studboyt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 24 2014 at 7:56pm
That is the same tank I have. It has been up since March.
Marcoss View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Marcoss Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 24 2014 at 8:57pm
Hi Mike,

Thanks for the welcome! Excited to be here.

Also, thanks for the tip on editing a post.

Regards,
Marcos
Marcoss View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Marcoss Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 24 2014 at 8:58pm
Hello Studboyt,

Awesome! Do you love the tank?

I'd love to see what you've done, I need some inspiration.

Thanks!

Marcos

Studboyt View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Studboyt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 24 2014 at 9:22pm
I do love it. I will post some pics tomorrow. Did you get the stand,sump etc?
Marcoss View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Marcoss Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 24 2014 at 9:33pm
I'm glad to hear that! I've been debating the CAD for several weeks; they have so many mixed reviews. I finally went with my gut and just got it this evening. 

I went with their whole package; sump, protein skimmer, stand, etc. I think all I need, to get going, is a couple of wave-makers, heater, rocks/sand, and eventually some fish. 

Excited to see your set up.
willstang View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote willstang Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 25 2014 at 5:58am
Welcome Marcos. I don't own a CAD but I've seen then, they look neat I like them.

Edited by willstang - November 25 2014 at 5:59am
Mark Peterson View Drop Down
Paid Member
Paid Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark Peterson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 25 2014 at 7:07am
Welcome back Marcos.

If I may interject, it's not so much the equipment, but the hobbyist and their use of the principles of biology that makes the difference. Yet it doesn't take an expert or a scientist to create a thing of beauty out of a simple glass box of saltwater, animals and algae.

Aloha,

P.S.
Click the Reefkeeping Tips below for the best way to have a reef aquarium up and running within a week.

Edited by Mark Peterson - November 25 2014 at 7:10am
Reefkeeping Tips, & quick, easy setup tricks:
www.utahreefs.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=9244
Pay it forward - become a paid WMAS member
Marcoss View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Marcoss Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 25 2014 at 4:03pm
I am hoping they function nicely! I think at the end of a day any tank would work. This one just convinces me wife to let keep it somewhere convenient versus the basement/dungeon. LOL
Marcoss View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Marcoss Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 25 2014 at 4:06pm
Mark,

Thank you for the interjection. I totally agree and am excited to see what I can do. From reading, I think a lot of it comes down to education, like you are saying, and good husbandry. If you can tell how your stock is doing, good or bad, you can take action and take care of it.

Thanks again Mark!

Adam Blundell View Drop Down
Presidency
Presidency

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Adam Blundell Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 25 2014 at 4:29pm
Welcome!

Adam

Come to a meeting, they’re fun!
Marcoss View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Marcoss Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 26 2014 at 11:21am
Adam,

Thank you! Glad to be on here and share what I do. Its awesome that I can publicly document what I succeed in and what I fail in. I am sure it will come in handy when I need a lot of help.

Thanks!

Marcos

Studboyt View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Studboyt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 08 2014 at 9:13pm
Sorry it took so long.
Marcoss View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Marcoss Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 09 2014 at 11:25am
Originally posted by Studboyt Studboyt wrote:

Sorry it took so long.

Hey, no worries on the delay! That tank looks awesome! I clicked on your image and it brought me to a lore more. I really like it and seeing the entire set up really helps! Thanks again for sharing!

Marcos

Marcoss View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Marcoss Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 11 2014 at 6:36pm

Sorry it took so long.

Hey Studboyt

I just got my tank; it looks beautiful but I have concerns. Can I ask you a couple of questions?

Did your tank come with Styrofoam/some sheet to level the tank on the stand? My sump has something but not the tank, which seems like it would be the one to need it.

Does your tank hang off of your stand by like 1/4-1/8 of an inch off each side?

Thanks so much for your answers!

Marcos

RedSea Max S400 - 90G Rimless Frag Tanks x2 - 185 Lookdown Bin
Studboyt View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Studboyt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 11 2014 at 8:41pm
Marcoss,
I bought a thin piece of foam at Home Depot, yes you definitely need it.
I built my own stand, but I don't think it should hang over.
You can text me with other questions etc if you would rather.
Aaron 801-386-3209
Marcoss View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Marcoss Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 16 2014 at 8:15pm

Marcoss,
I bought a thin piece of foam at Home Depot, yes you definitely need it.
I built my own stand, but I don't think it should hang over.
You can text me with other questions etc if you would rather.
Aaron 801-386-3209

Hi Aaron,

Thank you very much for the advice and sorry for the delay. I got swamped with work and now have a little time to write back. Thanks for your generous offer to help!

I went to Hobby Lobby and got some Styrofoam that is about 3/16 thick; Cadlights says thats what they mail but forgot to with my tank. The tank seems level but it does not have water. I also found out it does not hang over the edge as much as I thought. The pieces of glass that run perpendicular to the stand are mostly on the stand, if that makes sense...

Thanks again Aaron!

Marcos

RedSea Max S400 - 90G Rimless Frag Tanks x2 - 185 Lookdown Bin
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic