Utah Reefs Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

New Build 70G

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 345
Author
Mark Peterson View Drop Down
Paid Member
Paid Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark Peterson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 06 2015 at 9:02am
My 2 cents:

Putting my engineering hat on; The more complicated the process, the more risk of failure, or in other words, KISS.

Living organisms, as complicated as they are have a high risk of failure, yet also have many back up components for self correction and repair, or in other words, have enormous power to heal themselves.

That's why MarksReef Garlic Oil Treatment is often effective. 
Because it is so simple, is dosed without removing the fish from the aquarium, and can work overnight, it just makes sense to give it a go.

Aloha,
Mark  Hug
808-345-1049
Reefkeeping Tips, & quick, easy setup tricks:
www.utahreefs.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=9244
Pay it forward - become a paid WMAS member
Marcoss View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Marcoss Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 07 2015 at 10:43am
Mark,

I am trying garlic now, as of a couple of days ago, on the survivors. I cannot get them out and cannot find/or build an effective trap. I am hoping this helps. It will be hard to tell, but so far they seem to be doing better and are not dead. 

Either way, I will be giving them garlic in the future as well. They really go AS for their food and it makes me confident that they are all eating.

Marcos

RedSea Max S400 - 90G Rimless Frag Tanks x2 - 185 Lookdown Bin
Kimlafeiet View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kimlafeiet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 09 2015 at 2:27pm
Hi Marcos,
Can I ask where you got your ato cabinet from?  I am looking for something similar to house my ATO tank.
Also, how are you liking the Gyre?  I will be downgrading soon and am debating between keeping my MP10 and adding a 2nd one, or just going with the gyre.
Marcoss View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Marcoss Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 09 2015 at 3:59pm
Originally posted by Kimlafeiet Kimlafeiet wrote:

Hi Marcos,
Can I ask where you got your ato cabinet from?  I am looking for something similar to house my ATO tank.
Also, how are you liking the Gyre?  I will be downgrading soon and am debating between keeping my MP10 and adding a 2nd one, or just going with the gyre.

Hello, that is actually a cabinet from Ikea. Its just a cabinet they sell that I added doors to. Its one of those modular units that you can add shelves too, take away doors, etc. I simply left the one side without any shelves and have a 10G tank in it. It keeps my tank fully topped off for about 6-7 days. 

The other side has shelves that I keep testing supplies in, food, tools, etc.

As far as the Gyre; I'm not sure I am the best to give you an opinion since it is all I have had and all that I know. I love it and it has a ton of flow, too much that I turned it down to 50% and have it aiming towards the top of the tank. I do not have anything to compare it to though. I am building a new tank with an MP10, or maybe two, and I will know which I like the most when that is complete...

I'll be sure to post my feedback on each one once I have experienced them both equally. 

Marcos

Edited by Marcoss - March 09 2015 at 4:01pm
Marcoss View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Marcoss Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 29 2015 at 6:48pm
Wow, I cannot believe how time flies. I have added some new things here and there since I have made an update. I had a few other things, but all are dead now. It was the day we did the reef tour so the weather might have killed them. They all died from one store but looked decent once home. Still not sure what happened.

Below are a couple of images. As you can see, I am still in the process of placing pieces and gluing down. I am happy with the zoas/palys, but need to figure out the rest. I need a home for the acans on the sand and a couple of other items. Some will obviously need to stay.

Below is a quick little video. The only lights running are the whites, hence, some of the colors don't pop as much as normal. Its very messy in there/cloudy since I did this right after a water change.

Marcos

Edited by Marcoss - March 29 2015 at 6:49pm
Reefer4Ever View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Reefer4Ever Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 29 2015 at 9:55pm
Sorry to hear about the loss after being out all day. I love the rock in the tank as well as the dimensions. Very good looking tank.
90 gal reef w/refugium
24 gal softie tank
11 gal nano anemone tank
5 gal fresh water
Marcoss View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Marcoss Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 30 2015 at 4:22pm
Yeah, I was not prepared enough. I didn't think I would end up buying anything so I was not prepared. Luckily, some fellow at OCD Reefs gave us a little cooler which probably saved the lives of everything that did not die.
kellerexpress View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kellerexpress Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 09 2015 at 6:54pm
How's this tank doing?
IM 30L
Kessil A160we x2
Marcoss View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Marcoss Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 09 2015 at 6:58pm
It ended up cracking! So I had to start over a few months ago. I went bare bottom and ended up using MP pumps for better flow. So far so good!
Marcoss View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Marcoss Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 16 2015 at 10:22am
November 16 2015 | Quick video update.

Currently with three or four fish. 
Yellow tang
Six line wrasse
Mystery wrasse
Pygmy hawk fish (I have seen him twice in the last 6 weeks; last time around 1.5 weeks ago)

I ended up losing my Molly Miller Blenny; despite every effort to keep the tank sealed, it must have crawled out. I have a screen top and even an overflow cover, but that poor little guy still got out.

Very few corals in there now.

Marcos

kellerexpress View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kellerexpress Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 16 2015 at 11:17am
Looking good 
IM 30L
Kessil A160we x2
Marcoss View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Marcoss Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 16 2015 at 11:32am
Thank you Keller! When I have time, I will need to set things in place and glue down frags. I've been nervous to do too much since I had to restart. I essentially started from scratch since my tank was done for about 1 month, so I had a larger than just moving the tank cycle. 

So far all levels are stable and coraline is breaking out. 
Marcoss View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Marcoss Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 05 2016 at 5:44pm
Debating if I should fill this tank up with just rock flowers, I am really liking how they look and they stay put for the most part...

Also, I found this kind of interesting. Corals morph colors, but this little acan is morphing all by itself, from its main mini colony (they are all on the same rock). Even all the way expanded, like the others, it has a ton of green and blue; its turning into a rainbow with the LEDs. I see stuff morph a lot, but usually the whole colony morphs together. The one changing is not even under direct light.

bstuver View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bstuver Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 05 2016 at 8:15pm
It's probably changing because it's not getting as much light. In my experience with acans that lower ones in the colony tend to morph more and have more color. The rock flowers are awesome too!
Jackie Stuver

"wait these aren't the happy Hawaiians oompa doompa godly heaven on your face zoas?   I dont want them then. lol!" Ksmart
Marcoss View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Marcoss Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 08 2016 at 8:41am
That makes sense! I'll have to keep an eye out on the others that are beneath the morphing one.

Makes me want to keep them all in low light if they are going to look that nice... 
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 345
  Share Topic