Utah Reefs Homepage
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - Protein Skimmer just died 2 days before vacation
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Protein Skimmer just died 2 days before vacation

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
peiji View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote peiji Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Protein Skimmer just died 2 days before vacation
    Posted: December 17 2014 at 10:53pm
Should I be worried? My protein skimmer just died and I'll be gone for 12 days. I don't think I have time to get a new pump. I've never run my tank before without skimming but I know there are some who don't skim at all. Right now my Nitrates are 0. How long will that last without skimming? No idea. 
Jared Page
Highland, UT
Graphic Designer
peiji View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote peiji Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 17 2014 at 11:35pm
On closer inspection, it looks like the rod that goes inside the magnetic part of the impeller (sorry I don't know all the technical terms) broke in half. Who knows how. Is it possible to get a new one? I've looked all over online. Here's the broken part below. Is it even possible to find something like that at a hardware store? Looks like any non-metal rod of the same size would do. 

Jared Page
Highland, UT
Graphic Designer
love2skiutah View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote love2skiutah Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 17 2014 at 11:43pm
One less thing to worry about :)  Just feed very lightly. 
Mark Peterson View Drop Down
Paid Member
Paid Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark Peterson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 18 2014 at 6:45am
I agree with Aaron. I feed once daily. When going on vacation I always have my experienced hobbyist tank sitter (Jake Pehrson) feed only once every 2 or three days. That's 1/3 - 1/2 as much as usual. That way the tank eats everything it gets and there is no waste even for the biofiltration to eat. The tank looks a bit cleaner when I return home. There is no substitute for having an experienced hobbyist do the tank sitting when the owner is to be gone for more than 5 days.

That is a ceramic post. A new post comes with a new impeller which costs anywhere from $35-$80 online, though there might be one floating around with someone here. What pump (brand and model) does it fit and exactly how long is it? 
Please feel free to post here and also text/call me so I can respond immediately if I have one. I could easily come your way because I have another stop in your direction.

Aloha,
Mark  Hug
808-345-1039

P.S.
I would not use a metallic post. Finding a stainless steel rod that is also stainless steel at the ends will be practically impossible.
Reefkeeping Tips, & quick, easy setup tricks:
www.utahreefs.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=9244
Pay it forward - become a paid WMAS member
peiji View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote peiji Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 18 2014 at 7:08am
Actually, i suddenly just got the inspiration to try the inside of a pen. It was the perfect diameter and I think rigid enough to do the job. I just tried it and it works like a charm so far. The pump was a TIA iB 350 made for a Cadlights Protein Skimmer. I don't even remember the model. 
Jared Page
Highland, UT
Graphic Designer
Dion Richins View Drop Down
Presidency
Presidency

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dion Richins Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 18 2014 at 7:12am
Inside of a pen? Like with ink?
Bad "censored" Cabinets
Best quality in the valley! He is one sexy bald guy, even with out a finger!(MAC)
peiji View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote peiji Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 18 2014 at 8:45am
Yes but the ink was gone of course and it's well rinsed.
Jared Page
Highland, UT
Graphic Designer
Reefboy4life View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Reefboy4life Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 18 2014 at 9:11am
Lol that's crazy I bought my return pump that I am using now on my 24 gal from a yard sale and the same shaft was broke in half, I used the inside of a mechanical led pencil washed really good, been running no problems for 5 months now, should work fine for you as well.
90 gallon mixed reef
Adam Blundell View Drop Down
Presidency
Presidency

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Adam Blundell Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 18 2014 at 9:32am
Leave it off, worry about it when you get back.

Adam
Come to a meeting, they’re fun!
jwoo View Drop Down
Presidency
Presidency

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jwoo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 18 2014 at 10:35am
I've got a spare skimmer I'm not using at the moment if you want to borrow it. It's a Euro Reef with a Mag 9. Was using it on my 120. Let me know if you want to borrow it.
None at the moment
Soon: 72 Gallon Bowfront
peiji View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote peiji Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 18 2014 at 1:09pm
Thanks for the offers of help. I believe I've fixed it so problem averted I think.
Jared Page
Highland, UT
Graphic Designer
Paid Member
Paid Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark Peterson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 18 2014 at 7:14pm
That's good to hear. 
I have a variety of posts I have saved from impellers gone bad. I even saved the impellers to show visitors what they look like when they go bad. Smile Hang on to that broken post, in case you need to see if I have a replacement.
Have a great vacation.

Aloha  Hug
Fatman View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fatman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 19 2014 at 7:15am
I have read that the carbon fiber shafts from the local model/hobby stores can be cut to length and work well.
February 4: Winter Banquet at the Living Planet Aquarium
Tickets: http://utahreefs.com/store/index.php?route=product/category&path=36
Paid Member
Paid Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark Peterson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 19 2014 at 8:19am
Great idea. Thumbs Up
millsu2 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote millsu2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 22 2014 at 8:56am
I had one of the original Koralia power heads and it had a ceramic shaft. After a few years it broke. I called the manufacturer and they sent me a new metal one for free. Try calling the pump manufacturer and see what they will do for you. It seems less common in the aquarium industry, but companies will sometimes help you out.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic