Utah Reefs Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Mandarins - captive bred

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Molli View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Molli Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Mandarins - captive bred
    Posted: December 18 2014 at 6:22pm
Has anyone here had real success in purchasing a captive bred mandarin and feeding it frozen or pellets?  If so, do you remember where you purchased it?
Adam Blundell View Drop Down
Presidency
Presidency

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Adam Blundell Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 18 2014 at 6:47pm
I don't believe there are any captive bred currently available on the market right now.  

Adam

Come to a meeting, they’re fun!
96slowbra View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 96slowbra Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 18 2014 at 6:50pm
i bought one from live rock and reef a couple years ago. i could drop pellets right off it's head and it wouldn't touch them. it also didn't respond to frozen. died after 3 or so months in a 54 gallon tank.
105 rimless
reefnfeef View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote reefnfeef Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 18 2014 at 8:03pm
I thought ORA bred mandarins?
aaaaaaaaaaaaaannd.... I'm broke
pgravis View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pgravis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 18 2014 at 8:24pm
Pretty sure ORA stopped commercially producing mandarins. People thought that captive bred meant it would automatically be an easy fish, when really I think it just meant "easier, but still potentially difficult" fish.
http://reefbuilders.com/2014/06/19/captive-bred-mandarins-return-karen-brittain/
See my house: www.eclecticvictorian.com
Mark Peterson View Drop Down
Paid Member
Paid Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark Peterson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 19 2014 at 9:13am
I also would not discount the idea that it may not have been captive bred. Unhappy

Hug
Reefkeeping Tips, & quick, easy setup tricks:
www.utahreefs.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=9244
Pay it forward - become a paid WMAS member
Bryce View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bryce Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 19 2014 at 12:27pm
If you want a mandarin the 1st step to success is buying a healthy one to start with. The next step would be to have a mature reef with tons of copepods and no other hunter fish that also like live foods (think wrasses). The next would be target feeding it once a day with a long pipette with Nutramr Ova (prawn eggs) which isn't cheap and I know of only one LFS that carries it, but most mandarins will viciously eat this even if the refuse everything else (lots of videos on this online) the problem is Nutramar Ova is like crack to other fish so often a "mandarin cafe" is required (small sinkable container like a glass jar) large enough for the mandarin to get in to eat but too small for other fish. In addition to his hunting, my mandarin was fed with Nutramar Ova for over 8 months and I eventually winged him off it and about 2 months later he eventually started eating frozen mysis that sinks to the bottom when I feed my other fish. I have had mine almost 2 years now.
65g Reef
Mark Peterson View Drop Down
Paid Member
Paid Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark Peterson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 19 2014 at 1:41pm
That's excellent Bryce. Thumbs Up

I was talking just the other day to a hobbyist about how to prepare for a Mandarin. In the wild, they live in rubble zones where Macroalgae may also proliferate. These are areas where the rubble and Macro offers habitation and protection to all kinds of bugs like Amphipods and Copepods. As the bug populations proliferate, some bugs venture out of the rubble and Macro, especially in the twilight, where the Mandarins see and eat them. These seem to be the keys to providing for Mandarins. Of course the bug population grows in response to extra feeding of frozen meaty foods and plankton, like the frozen rotifers and Tahitian Blend algae paste available at Brine Shrimp Direct. Night feedings of planktonic foods also helps grow more bugs.

Aloha  Hug
Reefkeeping Tips, & quick, easy setup tricks:
www.utahreefs.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=9244
Pay it forward - become a paid WMAS member
Molli View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Molli Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 19 2014 at 8:07pm
Bryce -- Thanks for the info.  I wish there was a local seller of live pods.  If there was I'd make the financial commitment to keeping my tank full enough of pods to keep a mandarin very happy and full.  I've even researched into having a tiny pod farm (ie a 5 gallon bucket) just for my tank but that is a LOT of work.  I'll give some thought into the method you have suggested.
DMower View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DMower Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 19 2014 at 9:10pm
Doesn't the Aquarium still sell live pods?  They used to.
150 gal reef with 50 gal sump. Reef Octopus DCS-200 Skimmer. AI Sol Blues.
millsu2 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote millsu2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 22 2014 at 10:39am
I asked them about it 3-4 months ago and they said it has been a long time since they last sold live pods.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic