Utah Reefs Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Winter Storm Warning

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Pete Moss View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pete Moss Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Winter Storm Warning
    Posted: December 29 2014 at 3:54pm
There is a winter storm warning for the wasatch front. Winds will be upwards of 40mph in certain areas with gusts reaching 75mph. The warning is in effect from midnight tonight until the late morning tomorrow. If you have to travel, do so carefully.

With high winds comes the potential for a power outage. This can be devastating for the reef hobbyist, so make sure to take some precautions tonight.

If you have a backup power supply, generator, battery operated pumps, or any other emergency equipment brush off the dust and make sure it is in working order. Make sure you have fresh batteries ready.

Keep your thermostats turned up tonight, so if the power does go out the temperature of your house will be warmer. A warm house means a warm aquarium.

Make sure your sumps are not filled above their max fill line. Turn off your pumps quickly tonight to make sure the water level doesn't rise above the top of the sump.

Having a digital thermometer is highly recommended for when these situations arise so you can monitor the temperature of your aquarium accurately.

In a pinch you can cover the top of your aquarium, and wrap it in a blanket to try and insulate the tank, preserving the heat for a longer period of time. Using styrofoam layers taped onto the tanks before wrapping it in blankets also helps. Time to cut up those extra shipping boxes you have lying around.

If anyone else has any tips and tricks please post away! I don't know everything, and nobody likes losing coral or fish!

Bountiful and South Weber are the two areas that will be affected the most. Everyone north of SLC should be well on alert. 

Happy reefing everyone, and have a safe, happy new year!

Edited by Pete Moss - December 29 2014 at 3:57pm
125g 90g 2x33g 34g
What stores do I recommend?
Up North: Bill ( Saltwater Paradise 801-317-8115 )
Down South: Jerry ( Reef On 801-563-0600 )

Member of GCFB
Pete Moss View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pete Moss Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 29 2014 at 4:13pm

125g 90g 2x33g 34g
What stores do I recommend?
Up North: Bill ( Saltwater Paradise 801-317-8115 )
Down South: Jerry ( Reef On 801-563-0600 )

Member of GCFB
Molli View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Molli Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 29 2014 at 9:15pm
One tip I can add is that I had a gas log installed in my fireplace in my family room intentionally in case power went out for a long period of time.  The log does not have an electric starter.  My tank is in the family room and that log keeps the area plenty warm.
ReefdUp View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ReefdUp Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 30 2014 at 4:45am
Yay South Weber winds! It's been nuts all night, but we still have power (knock on wood). We've got a generator...learned that lesson the hard way.
www.reefdup.com
Diving since 2009, reefkeeping since 2007, & fishkeeping since 1987
200g, 75g, & 15g Systems
PADI Advanced Open Water
ReefdUp View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ReefdUp Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 30 2014 at 4:59am
Just read we're having sustained winds of 75mph and gusts up to 100mph. Yikes. I'm dreading my walk into work this morning. -16 degree wind chill.
www.reefdup.com
Diving since 2009, reefkeeping since 2007, & fishkeeping since 1987
200g, 75g, & 15g Systems
PADI Advanced Open Water
DMower View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DMower Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 30 2014 at 6:13am
Power is out in Kaysvile.
150 gal reef with 50 gal sump. Reef Octopus DCS-200 Skimmer. AI Sol Blues.
love2skiutah View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote love2skiutah Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 30 2014 at 6:18am
Power is flickering in Centerville..
LaRue View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LaRue Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 30 2014 at 9:13am
It's all good in Hopper (so far) lol
Molli View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Molli Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 30 2014 at 9:42am
All good in Bountiful.  My City learned a lesson a few years ago when we had 100 mph winds -- they weren't keeping tree limbs trimmed near power lines and went around after that storm cutting back all the trees.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic