Utah Reefs Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

New Tang

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
colesnwbds View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote colesnwbds Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: New Tang
    Posted: January 08 2015 at 9:23am
Why is my new yellow tang nipping at my Zoas, and how do I stop it?

He is getting plenty of seaweed, and good herb pellet food, so i'm not sure why he needs to eat my coral.

Thanks.
"Fishes live in the sea, as men do a-land; the great ones eat up the little ones."

— William Shakespeare
Mark Peterson View Drop Down
Paid Member
Paid Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark Peterson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 08 2015 at 10:02am
It likes, no, it really needs fresh algae. In the absence of a good growth of tasty Macroalgae, it has turned to eating coral for the Zooxanthellae algae in coral tissue. One thing is that it needs some training. Just like other animals, fish can be conditioned to stop certain behaviors. Look for the thread about it, listed in the Reefkeeping Tips linked below.

The article about fish training also describes how to help prevent this by growing in the tank beforehand or later adding some Caulerpa for the Tang or Rabbitfish to graze on. Dried seaweed/Nori is not adequate, IMO. Fresh rinsed Romaine and Green-leaf Lettuce are also good for Tangs. Place it on the clip with a small piece of Nori and the fish will soon learn to eat it.

If one of the methods of PO4 removal is being used, the occasional temporary discontinuance of that use will allow soft algae growth on the LR to feed the Tang (this is my prime recommendation for soft surface algae loving Angelfish). If a Refugium is present, pull Macroalgae out to feed the Tang. Chaetomorpha is not their favorite, but they can eat it. If you don't have any Caulerpa in the Refugium, come see me for some, free.

Aloha,
Mark  Hug
Reefkeeping Tips, & quick, easy setup tricks:
www.utahreefs.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=9244
Pay it forward - become a paid WMAS member
colesnwbds View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote colesnwbds Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 08 2015 at 10:08am
Good points Mark.  Thank you.
"Fishes live in the sea, as men do a-land; the great ones eat up the little ones."

— William Shakespeare
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic