Utah Reefs Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

When Do I Add Salt To The Water

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Marcoss View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Marcoss Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: When Do I Add Salt To The Water
    Posted: January 16 2015 at 10:18am
Hello

So I recently set up a tank and added two clown fish last night.

My question is when do I add the salt?

Marcos
RedSea Max S400 - 90G Rimless Frag Tanks x2 - 185 Lookdown Bin
Shane H View Drop Down
Presidency
Presidency

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shane H Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 16 2015 at 10:35am
Are your fish still alive?

What is the SG of the water now?   Typically, you won't need to add salt, only replace water to account for loss due to evaporation.
Molli View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Molli Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 16 2015 at 10:36am
Assuming your water had the correct salinity before you added the clown fish, the only time you would add salt to your water is if you have removed salt water from your tank and lowered your salinity -- at that point you would need to mix more salt water and add i5 (ie like during water changes).  If your water is simply evaporating, the salt in that water doesn't evaporate so you only add RO water for evaporation.  Never add salt to your tank - you always need to mix it first.
bmac2 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bmac2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 16 2015 at 12:22pm
it is a matter of how salty you want your fish.  When you eat your fish there is a wide range of palates when it comes to salt on fish.   :-)   and how long you plan on cooking them.
Aquarium Creations 300 gallon tank
Stand by Dion
Jeremyw View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jeremyw Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 16 2015 at 12:30pm
ummm... Im assuming you filled the tank up with salt water? 

J
Marcoss View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Marcoss Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 18 2015 at 5:21pm
Hi,

In my haste/excitedness I did not write my message correctly. Thanks everyone for the concern.

The tank has completed a cycle, from what I could tell. I had my salt set at 1.024 right before I added the fish. Once I added the fish it went down to 1.023. I don't see a leak (there is a tiny leak but it is dumping back into the sump) or salt escaping any place so I am not sure why it went down. Do fish consume salt somehow? I assume that I just didn't look at the right line when I checked the salt. I use a refractometer that is calibrated to 1.026 but its still hard to tell if it is on the fourth line or third line. 

I do use an ATO and top off with RODI water. The ATO was set up prior to the tank having the fish and the SG was correct. The only thing I changed was added a couple of very small clown fish.

Believe it or not, I dislike the taste of fish and my wife is afraid of them. She was very apprehensive to hold the bag with the clown in them while I drove. So no salt here when I cook them :)

We went snorkeling in Mexico once and she became afraid of the fish, panicked, I panicked, they threw a life preserve, etc. Long story short; they had an open bar after words and it helped with the trauma of almost drowning. :) I've had the opportunity to do it again and am terrified. So, I am brining the fish to the comfort of my living room. 

Thanks!

Marcos

Mark Peterson View Drop Down
Paid Member
Paid Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark Peterson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 18 2015 at 6:59pm
The salt does not get used up but as time goes along, Alk, Ca and other elements get depleted. That's why we do water changes and add supplements. In the old, old days we had to do water changes to reduce N compounds because there was no decent biofiltration. The hobby has come a long, long way since then. Some of us now often go many months between water changes.

Aloha  Hug
Reefkeeping Tips, & quick, easy setup tricks:
www.utahreefs.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=9244
Pay it forward - become a paid WMAS member
tileman View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote tileman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 18 2015 at 9:30pm
And some of us do weekly waterchanges.  Different strokes for different folks.   
Reality of it is there is no one right way to take care of your tank. But there is common facts that you must know.  So never feel embarrassed to ask.
There is no problem with your salt being in the range of 1.021- 1.026  Just try to keep it consistent.
335G Reef
TOTM.
http://www.advancedaquarist.com/2015/2/aquarium
ReefKeepers TOTM Feb. 2012
http://reefkeeping.com/joomla/index....k-of-the-month

&
Reefer4Ever View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Reefer4Ever Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 19 2015 at 9:54am
+1^^^
90 gal reef w/refugium
24 gal softie tank
11 gal nano anemone tank
5 gal fresh water
Marcoss View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Marcoss Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 19 2015 at 4:18pm
Originally posted by tileman tileman wrote:

And some of us do weekly waterchanges.  Different strokes for different folks.   
Reality of it is there is no one right way to take care of your tank. But there is common facts that you must know.  So never feel embarrassed to ask.
There is no problem with your salt being in the range of 1.021- 1.026  Just try to keep it consistent.

Agreed. Thank you very much! I will for sure keep on asking and for sure not embarrassed.

Marcos

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic